osx leopard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my copy for free, w00t! You should check out the mosaic option for the picture screensaver, it's fucking great! So far nothing negative to report on my end of things. Ronnie, what apps were you running?

It happens with Firefox when you perform certain actions on specific websites. My girlfriend kept trying to access her online college stuff and it kept shutting down. Also, it's made audio scrobbler and Safari both freeze up.

To the people above who said avoid Lacie and Western Digital, you're simply using your own personal bias. Both are highly respected in the hard drive community. I currently have a Western Digital myBook, which in my opinion is the best bargain on the market right now. I've never had a problem with any of their drives and the myBooks get great reviews. We use the professional ones at my workplace for backup purposes, with constant read and writing and there have been no faults.

If you want to be 100% cautious, go with Seagate as they offer a 5 year warranty.

Just so you know...

External drives will have to be formatted with FAT32, NTFS will not be read by OS X. If you google around you can find some work arounds, but if you want out of the box ease of use, then the drive MUST NOT be NTFS.

personal bias and the fact that they just suck ass. I had so many problems with my lacie. I did a lot of internet searching and found that just about everyone with the same drive was having the same problems. I'd think that's a pretty good reason to not go with a lacie.

Really?? Hmmmm, I know Future Shop (our Best Buy) had a Lacie 500GB HD for $130 ... good thing I was too poor to afford it then...

To the people above who said avoid Lacie and Western Digital, you're simply using your own personal bias. Both are highly respected in the hard drive community. I currently have a Western Digital myBook, which in my opinion is the best bargain on the market right now. I've never had a problem with any of their drives and the myBooks get great reviews. We use the professional ones at my workplace for backup purposes, with constant read and writing and there have been no faults.

If you want to be 100% cautious, go with Seagate as they offer a 5 year warranty.

Just so you know...

External drives will have to be formatted with FAT32, NTFS will not be read by OS X. If you google around you can find some work arounds, but if you want out of the box ease of use, then the drive MUST NOT be NTFS.

You are correct, Lacie and Western Digital are both respected but that said people can run in to a bad lot with a drive and just get hosed. My Seagate has been a pile of crap. It randomly disconnects from my computer whenever it feels like it even in the middle of uploading songs to my iPod. Just weird stuff. I didn't realize anything about the long-standing warranty so now I just need another one.

If you're looking for a drive I would take a look at Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/). They seem to have some pretty kick ass deals.

personal bias and the fact that they just suck ass. I had so many problems with my lacie. I did a lot of internet searching and found that just about everyone with the same drive was having the same problems. I'd think that's a pretty good reason to not go with a lacie.

Yeah I have a Lacie as well and had problems getting started with it. Not like I don't know how to use it, it just wouldn't mount and formatting, etc... The "install" disc was more of a coaster. Once I got it working though it's been pretty decent. It's good to know that other people had problems. It just sucks that they really have no reference materials if you have a problem and it seems a lot of people do.

Well, here's my story: my wife's PC crashed with all our baby pictures on it. Even the birth. Thank goodness we had it all backed up on an external, right? Wrong! The drive failed too.

OK, shit happens. But deal with WD to try to recover the info and get a refund was insane.

In the end we emailed everyone we know and said "if we emailed you baby pictures, send them back."

Remember, a bunch of people's personal bias eventually equals improved quality or death.