Car Stereo Advice

So I'm thinking about buying a new car stereo.

There's a couple things that are preventing me from straight up doing it.

1) My car is over 10 years old. It still works like the first day I got it, but it's getting to the point when I may decide to buy a new one in about a year or two.

2) There is currently nothing really wrong with my current car stereo except the fact that the volume control knob is missing and it still has a tape deck which I use for plugging in my ipod with the tape adapter.

Why do I want a new stereo you ask?

Because The current stereo just doesn't sound good, it's still the stock stereo, and I want a direct input for my ipod/other music playing device.

Should I just buy it and get it over with, or save my money and deal with what I have since it still works just fine.

Jetta stock speakers are actually great, i have 4 (came out of my 94' or 93' jetta, can't remember what year.... Flood gave it to me haha) that i saved incase i ever needed to replace the ones i had for my 2nd jetta, which i ended up never having to use. So if you have any need for them due to blown speakers, let me know and we can work something out!