Recurring dreams...

jhulud

For the past 10 years or so, every so often I have a recurring dream in which I am either late for class or missed an exam of some sort. It always takes place in high school or college. Bear in mind that I graduated college about a million years ago.

If the location is high school, it's always the one I went to when I lived in Louisville, KY. I only went there for two years as we moved. But since I can always remember my dreams, it's always me sprinting down the hall from my locker to class to get to an exam...which is usually for English class...and I end up being locked out of the classroom. Some dreams have it in which I missed class the entire year and only show up for the final and of course I have no idea what's going on.

Last night's dream was college-related. I was at the bookstore buying the necessary books for all my courses. When I asked for assistance in finding the books, it turns out that they were all for courses the school has not offered in years. One class (which I remember clearly) was "The History and Socio-Culltural Impact of the American Civil War". But the bookstore clerk...who was more like Giles, the Watcher/Librarian from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...still found the books and gave them to me.

At one point I researched the possible meanings of these dreams but didn't find much.

Maybe I have to lay off the spicy food at night. Ha!

Anyone else as weird as me?

For the past 10 years or so, every so often I have a recurring dream in which I am either late for class or missed an exam of some sort. It always takes place in high school or college. Bear in mind that I graduated college about a million years ago.

If the location is high school, it's always the one I went to when I lived in Louisville, KY. I only went there for two years as we moved. But since I can always remember my dreams, it's always me sprinting down the hall from my locker to class to get to an exam...which is usually for English class...and I end up being locked out of the classroom. Some dreams have it in which I missed class the entire year and only show up for the final and of course I have no idea what's going on.

Last night's dream was college-related. I was at the bookstore buying the necessary books for all my courses. When I asked for assistance in finding the books, it turns out that they were all for courses the school has not offered in years. One class (which I remember clearly) was "The History and Socio-Culltural Impact of the American Civil War". But the bookstore clerk...who was more like Giles, the Watcher/Librarian from Buffy the Vampire Slayer...still found the books and gave them to me.

At one point I researched the possible meanings of these dreams but didn't find much.

Maybe I have to lay off the spicy food at night. Ha!

Anyone else as weird as me?

My interpretation of your dream(s) is that you're still unprepared in life (whether it's just being late for work because you spent one more minute on the computer, or procrastinating small projects that could've easily been done when they were first presented to you), and in the subconscious being unprepared is being "immature" -- which is why your dreams take place in high school or college.

Are you under pressure right now for any reason? Family, job, etc? I don't know how old you are, who are you haha, and I can only assume you have a job in the record label business(?).

In order to combat the panic or anxiety in these dreams, you need to focus on lucid dreaming where you take control -- if you can make the realization it's a dream while you're in it, you can then stop running and just say, "fuck it i'm going to beat up the principal" or you can get to your class and convince your teacher to allow you to take the test.

I could probably go on forever about this but I need to do some school work for my communications class haha

Damn dan...that's a pretty good interpretation. And it makes sense.

Some background...I'm 34...I'm in my career w/ auto insurance. There is pressure to be had right now. Mostly family/home due to a bit of financial struggles but also medical/health, not on my part though. But affecting me nonetheless since it's family.

I often deam that my teeth are falling out, which, according to most dream interpretation texts means I'm afraid of losing control.

I also have a lot of dreams where I'm about to do drugs, and it turns out to be some other substance. Like I'll be about to fix and I realize the smack is actually cinnamon or chalk or something.

Damn dan...that's a pretty good interpretation. And it makes sense.

Some background...I'm 34...I'm in my career w/ auto insurance. There is pressure to be had right now. Mostly family/home due to a bit of financial struggles but also medical/health, not on my part though. But affecting me nonetheless since it's family.

Yeah whenever we fall asleep with some sort of built-up pressure, the brain will let us know by piecing together what is most familiar to it! Believe it or not, our brain thinks for itself haha. Being that you've had this dream for 10 damn years, it's so easy for your brain to just pull out that file from storage, and because you recognize it so well you're fueling the brain's fire haha

Now, I'm trying to think about your bookstore dream... you received something that was unexpected which could possibly be a precognition or premonition! Receiving the book could indicate you're about to open up a new chapter in your life as in you might make some great epiphany that could help yourself/your family (overall it's optimistic, to me)

It's tough to stay positive when shit like this happens -- it's almost like we should live in a dream so that reality can be pushed to the side. My mother was diagnosed with cancer and almost died a few weeks ago, and I remember having horrible dreams (one of which I was at her funeral) and to combat that I continually thought about things she did for me when I was younger and eventually the dreams turned into optimistic feelings. It sucked, but it's all I could do because I hate dwelling on shit.

Remember this: If there is no change, there is no growing up.

I've thought about this everyday and make an attempt to look differently at the world, or simply life around me. I'm 22 and I attend Shepherd University in West Virginia, and I work at a Parks & Rec and American Eagle -- I feel like now I'm just starting to "grow up" by making small changes in my daily habits.

I often deam that my teeth are falling out, which, according to most dream interpretation texts means I'm afraid of losing control.

I also have a lot of dreams where I'm about to do drugs, and it turns out to be some other substance. Like I'll be about to fix and I realize the smack is actually cinnamon or chalk or something.

I hate those teeth dreams! It seems like whenever I worry about getting a cavity, that dream will come up -- sometimes they don't even fall out; I'll grind my teeth until they turn into dust.

I've heard from a couple of people that dreams of your teeth falling out usually mean someone you know is dying. Messed up I know.

As far as recurring dreams, I say you actually write them down. A lot of people actually think they have had the same dream multiple times but thats not the case. Whenever you have a dream, you have that same dream about 15 or 16 times in one night. If you wake up in the middle of the dream you may think it's recurring just because you already had that dream although it was in the same night

Guest errolwest

i have a dream that im in some sort of western movie, which quickly turns into a movie about ghosts. It usually involves the ghost from super mario.

I've heard from a couple of people that dreams of your teeth falling out usually mean someone you know is dying. Messed up I know.

As far as recurring dreams, I say you actually write them down. A lot of people actually think they have had the same dream multiple times but thats not the case. Whenever you have a dream, you have that same dream about 15 or 16 times in one night. If you wake up in the middle of the dream you may think it's recurring just because you already had that dream although it was in the same night

That's what I forgot to mention, JWOWW -- as soon as you wake up, write down as much as you can remember! I keep 3x5 cards and some pens next to my bed so whenever I wake up from an imaginative dream, ink meets paper.

I believe the more interested you become in one specfic, peculiar dream, the more you can find out about what's going on in your head and dig into your subconscious.

Thanks for the insight dan. Definitely will be more proactive w/ writing the dreams down. I used to do it waaaaaay back when.

No problem man. Sorry I wrote so much haha -- psychology excites me.

I noticed you've said you graduated college "about a million years ago" and you just asid "I used to do it waaaaaay back when" -- that could be another thing that might influence your dream is that you consider yourself "old" when in fact you're only 34! Your mind/subconscious puts you back into your youthful self which might've been clumsy, forgettable, etc. (high school/college) and it seems that perhaps you want to be youthful, but decide to shun it because perhaps you don't want to be seen as 'immature'?

You may have a shit-ton of responsibilities making you feel 'old', but there's still so much you can do to feel like a "kid" without the 'appearance' of being immature. If I've gone too far, just say something so I can shut up haha

Here's one I had a couple years ago. One of these days I plan on actually writing a fleshed out story about it, but I wrote it down as soon as I woke up. here it is cut and pasted from the groggy version I wrote down. Someone explain to me!

I was dropping off this girl I used to work with. Anyway, it was in front of a bank. On top of this bank were offices for other businesses. We go in to the business next to the

bank. We are sitting in a waiting room, and meet two young women who

are also there waiting. During the wait, another lady comes

running out saying that her kid has been abducted. Over the next

day, the usual high profile abduction media circus takes hold. A

female reporter starts digging into it pretty heavily, and ends up

meeting with the women that my coworker and I had met in the waiting room.

They tell her they can help recover the child. The police start

looking at them, but can't come up with anything, as they were there

in the waiting room, and people saw them the whole time. Well

secretly the reporter starts working with them, and this part is

blank, but somehow they get the daughter back. They reunite the child

with the Mother outside the same bank. Pull up in their car, with the

daughter in her car seat and all. She had apparently been taken from

the mothers car. The reporter is there on her own with just a

cameraman, and the police haven't been called. The mother puts her

daughter in her car, and they drive off. Reporter gets her story,

mother gets her daughter, and the two women just drive off. Scene

cuts to a businessman named Mike(I think). He is angry and pissed

that the mother got the daughter back. Apparently he had masterminded

the abduction. But he has no idea who the two women were. Or how they

retrieved the child. I ended up waking up then to him talking about

retribution. Even though the police then dropped the case as they had

no evidence, and had no need to press on.

Here's one I had a couple years ago. One of these days I plan on actually writing a fleshed out story about it, but I wrote it down as soon as I woke up. here it is cut and pasted from the groggy version I wrote down. Someone explain to me!

I was dropping off this girl I used to work with. Anyway, it was in front of a bank. On top of this bank were offices for other businesses. We go in to the business next to the

Jesus haha -- I had to review that story fives times just to glue it to memory. This one is a little more difficult to interpet because you have so much -- GREAT STORY though!

Hmm..perhaps this happened (or will happen) in real life and maybe you'll run into the situation where you can save the woman's kid (or save 'Mike' from making another attempt)...buuuut I doubt that will happen haha

These are shortly thought-out interpretations:

• [*:0tn5cvbs]You and the girl could just be the fact that you're coworkers and discussed money -- where did you all work (in real life)?
    [*:0tn5cvbs]Being co-workers, you will have the atmosphere of other businesses listed in the dream -- do you remember any names of the business?
    [*:0tn5cvbs]The rest confuses me! It seems a bit incoherent with all of the women in the waiting room, and this random woman that runs in about her child. I'm also confused about what exactly the cops and the reporter did.

Throw in some more descriptions and I'll see what I can do haha

If I don't reply back with the next 30 minutes, I will tonight after work.

Jesus haha -- I had to review that story fives times just to glue it to memory. This one is a little more difficult to interpet because you have so much -- GREAT STORY though!

Hmm..perhaps this happened (or will happen) in real life and maybe you'll run into the situation where you can save the woman's kid (or save 'Mike' from making another attempt)...buuuut I doubt that will happen haha

These are shortly thought-out interpretations:

• [*:4sgdhe6k]You and the girl could just be the fact that you're coworkers and discussed money -- where did you all work (in real life)?
    [*:4sgdhe6k]Being co-workers, you will have the atmosphere of other businesses listed in the dream -- do you remember any names of the business?
    [*:4sgdhe6k]The rest confuses me! It seems a bit incoherent with all of the women in the waiting room, and this random woman that runs in about her child. I'm also confused about what exactly the cops and the reporter did.

Throw in some more descriptions and I'll see what I can do haha

If I don't reply back with the next 30 minutes, I will tonight after work.

I have a meeting right now, but I'll work on making it more coherent before I go to class tonight.

haha, alright, I tried to make this make more sense.

I was dropping off this girl I used to work with (we worked at Zumiez about 8 years ago. This dream, for the record, was about 2 years ago) in front of a bank. However, on the 2nd floor of this bank were offices for other businesses. We go in to one of the businesses. Couldn’t tell you what it was for. But it had a waiting room atmosphere, like a clinic or temp agency. We are sitting in the waiting room(yeah yeah, I wasn’t listening to Fugazi…), and meet two young women who are also there waiting. During the wait, a lady comes running in to the office from outside (possibly from the bank parking lot?) saying that her child has been abducted.

(the next part sort of fast forwards, and switches perspectives)

Over the next day, the usual high profile abduction media circus takes hold. A

meeting with the two women that my former coworker and I had met in the waiting room.

They tell her they can help recover the child. The police start looking at them as potential suspects, but can't come up with anything, as they were there in the waiting room and had alibis. The reporter starts working with them secretly, and this part I either didn’t remember, or I didn’t dream it, but somehow they (the two women we had talked to in the waiting room) get the daughter back. They reunite the child

with the Mother outside the same building where this had all taken place. They pull up in their car, with the

daughter in her car seat and all. She had apparently been taken from the mother’s car. The reporter is there with just a cameraman, and the police haven't been called. The mother puts her daughter in her car, and they drive off. The reporter gets her story, mother gets her daughter, and the two women just drive off.

Dream jumps to a businessman named Mike(I think. Isn’t anyone I know). He is angry and pissed

that the mother got the daughter back. Apparently he had masterminded the abduction but he has no idea who the two women were or how they retrieved the child. He started talking about

retribution even though the police then dropped the case as they had

no evidence, no solid suspects, and had no need to press on. Then I woke up

I highly doubt the has happened or will happen thing.

• The girl and I hadn’t worked together in 6 years, and I hadn’t seen her in at least 4.

• I don’t remember the names of any of the businesses.

• Hopefully this slight reworking makes more sense. Like I said, I cut and pasted that from the file I wrote and saved immediately when I woke up that morning, because it had been so vivid.

Also, a lot of my dreams are this vivid, and play out like movies. However, they never follow the plots of movies I’ve seen or know about.

Some good dreams!

I never have recurring dreams, but the weirdest dream I've ever had was this:

I was running through large building which were college dorms, which is where I was living, but instead of dorms, every room was like a room from a hospital. I was also completely naked running full speed looking for my room. After looking and looking, I finally find my room, and I open a door, which isn't normally there, and I magically have cloths on and through the door is my high school cafeteria. I see my friends who are all talking so I start to walk over to them. All of a sudden, the roof is ripped off of the building and one of my friends from high school is a giant and he is the person who ripped off the roof. The reaches in, points his finger and screams, "DO NOT JOIN THE ARMY! DO NOT JOIN THE ARMY!" At the same time as all of this is going on, everyone in the room turns into Lego people and the room starts to bend and become a giant wave, throwing all of the Lego people about. At this point, I wake up.

Any ideas what this might mean? I had this when I was in high school, about 7 years ago now. I still remember it clear as day.