another reason canada rules arse...

On the heels of the forced shutdown of popular torrent trackers Demonoid and OiNK, and the U.S. government's re-introduction of the PIRATE Act, which would force the Department of Justice to bring suits against individual file-sharers, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have announced that they no longer plan on prosecuting people who download copyrighted songs for their own personal use.

According to a statement from the federal police agency:

Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted. It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it.

You can check out this article for the source where the quote originally appeared in French.

Of course, copyright infringement remains a civil offense, and so organizations like the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) is still able to bring suits against individuals.

it's the truth. it's definitely not worth the effort and resources it takes to fight it.

Yeah, our fucked up goverment is spending money/using resources to fight pointless, superficial battles against shit like music piracy when they could be doing some real good elsewhere. I wish I could deport to Ireland or Switzerland or somewhere nice.

Yeah, Canada's pretty cool...I lived there for five years when I was a kid, in Calgary, good times.

Here in the lowlands it's also legal to download copyrighted stuff (music, movies, etc) for your own personal use. But it's illegal to share/upload stuff, and they've been shutting down loads of p2p/torrent/download services. I think the Oink server was actually located in Amsterdam.

it's the truth. it's definitely not worth the effort and resources it takes to fight it.

Yeah, our fucked up goverment is spending money/using resources to fight pointless, superficial battles against shit like music piracy when they could be doing some real good elsewhere. I wish I could deport to Ireland or Switzerland or somewhere nice.

I disagree. Though the po-po can pursue a criminal case against copyright infringers, it's currently only done when people are pirating copyrighted material for profit - no different than how those silly Mounties are now handling it.

Though the thought of someone riding into your house on a horse and snatching up your computer is kind of hilarious. With the hat and everything.

*note to Canadians : I kid with the stereotype. Your country is awesome and I take every opportunity to sing your theme song. I mean "national anthem."

anyway my favorite Canadian band is Weakerthans.

Grade is awesome, one of the bands that got me into punk. My favourite Canadian band, though, is Do Make Say Think, well my favourite band altogether so I guess it doesn't matter that they're Canadian.