document.write('+':omc4az6z]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Very stoked on this.

I had a cigarette and a brief conversation with John Goodman about a month ago. I saw him on Royal Street between Esplanade and Kerlerec having a drink and a smoke between shots. They were filming a parade scene and had a couple floats from Krewe de Vieux. He was funny -- I walked up and said "Hey -- you're John..." and he interrupted me and said "John Candy, yes, yes I am". Wise ass. We chit chatted about the project for a bit, shook hands, and went on our separate ways. Kind of cool for a chance occurrence.

I think that Treme is the perfect neighborhood in New Orleans for this. Working class (which is New Orleanian for poor) folks in a misunderstood part of town. Treme has always been a little rough around the edges. The famed red-light district in the late 1890s - 1920ish Storyville was once part of the Treme, as were the Lafitte housing projects until they were demolished a couple years ago. Some interesting characters, stories, and history can be found in the chunk of land between N. Rampart / Broad and Esplanade / St. Louis.

I'm very interested to see how this area works in conjunction with the Katrina effect and the Simon/Overmyer touch.

Also, digging the Drive Like Jehu icon.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just watched Sunday's episode.

Fucking killer. It reaffirmed everything I love about this place all at once. Watched with 4 friends -- the whole time we were like "I know that place / street" or "I've seen that guy play before" and so on. We actually had an argument about the shot showing the cemetery near the end. I swore it was the one Uptown off of Fern St by Riccobonos-- we finally decided it was St. Vincents behind Isidore Newman school off Jefferson St. And the church with the weird angles -- I thought it was the one on Broadway near frat-row -- it's really the one on Thoupitoulas near the ferry. Very engaging.

Lots of NOLA references that only NOLA folk would get, and even then it needs to be life-long NOLA folk. Some was way over my head, like the Mardi Gras Indian Chief stuff. I heard Overmyer speak of it (the nuances) -- he likened it to Shakespeare: you don't get every single nuance of every single act or scene, but you always seem to get the gist of it in the end.

I'm amazed at how well they depicted the post-Katrina debris on the streets. They literally must have trucked in garbage from a landfill and littered the streets. The timing for the filming was perfect since we had a terribly cold winter and most of the plants/trees were dead/dying. Otherwise, they would have had to plant dead trees and kill any other foliage to make the scenes realistic. The only thing I caught that wasn't accurate was the Superdome in the skyline shot near the beginning. The Dome was white -- wasn't white for a VERY long time. And they showed a scene of a ferry boat going across the river to Algiers -- that didn't happen for a VERY long time either. But all in all, the shit is real. Seeing all the mold during the opening credits stung. Cut me deep.

Highly recommended. Watch this shit.

Now that I think of it, there was another inconsistency. While in a restaurant, John Goodman's character gets a Hubig's pie for desert. Unless the restaurant had a supply from pre-Katrina (which I can't imagine being good still) there wouldn't have been Hubig's pies to be had. They didn't re-open until January, 2006.

Given the time line of the episode, I don't think 2 months had passed in the storyline, though I could be wrong.

If anyone would like to try a Hubig's pie, I'd be more than happy to send you one if you PM me your address. Apple, Lemon, Chocolate, Sweet Potato, Pineapple, Coconut or Peach. Coconut and Peach aren't as easy to find, so give me a second choice if that's what you want. Nuke it for 25 seconds prior to eating. Yum.

• 2 months later...

Thoughts on the finale? The series in general?

The finale was the most emotional part of the series for me. So many highs and lows; the Davis "Day in New Orleans" thing made me think of the many reasons why I love this damn city so much. Conversely, the evacuation flashback scenes at the end were a bit too real for me and I found myself with vivid memories of being stuck on I-10 for 17 hours and pissing outside of my car door beside a dirty diaper in the center lane.

Fucking awesome show. Can't wait for next season.