Stylus vs platter

If the stylus isn't placed inside enough from the outer edge of the record, it'll get thrown off the record when I turn on the turntable.

I was about to play a seven inch and then I heard the sound of horror when the stylus was thrown onto the platter. It's an acrylic platter.

I know this can't be too good for the stylus, the question is, what's the normal course of action when this accident happens?

I've had that happen, chipped the stylus right of the cantilever. Glad I got rid of that table, it didn't have a cue lever so I always had to drop the needle by hand. Slipped right off the run-in groove on a 10" and hit the rubber mat. I'll never own a turntable without a cue lever now.

I'd do like said above, check it out with a magnifying glass, but don't get your hopes up.

But actually, if this is happening alot, your anti-skate might not be set up properly so the tone arm will try to always pull away from the record.

Thanks for the advice. It's a project debut espirit with a factory installed orofon, but I can't seem to find the make of the orofon online. There's a logo of a fish on the stylus shield. I'm going to put a whole in my wallet and get a new cartridge. I don't have a magnifying glass. If the orofon is okay, I'll have a back up.