Whatcha think?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody seen Jesus Camp? I just watched it last week, and it was thoroughly interesting.

It angered and scared me.

It was a pretty terrifying movie, but it's good to know that she had to shut down the camp because of vadalism and Ted Haggard got kicked out of the church for fucking gay hookers.

It's worth watching for the G W Bush scene alone.

It angered and scared me.

It was a pretty terrifying movie, but it's good to know that she had to shut down the camp because of vandalism and Ted Haggard got kicked out of the church for fucking gay hookers.

It's worth watching for the G W Bush scene alone.

The Ted Haggard scene was hilarious. Everything else was just scary. Being Jewish, evangelicals like the ones depicted in the movie just scare the crap out of me.

Ok, now the serious side...

I don't believe in Religion, I believe in Science. I try to avoid labels at all costs, so I don't promote myself as an Atheist, however, most would probably say I am.

I was raised Catholic and in my opinion being brought up under the Catholicism umbrella (ella, ella) is the best way to become an Atheist. The moment that sparked my understanding of religion was when I was in 8th grade. The school threatened to kick me out of school because my family wasn't donating money to the church. Keep in mind that tuition was already $1,500 (which is insane for grade school)! My mom and dad didn't go to church, instead my brother and I went with my grandparents, however their donation did not count. That started the snowball effect and I quickly started to realize that all religion is pure nonsense.

I stated earlier that I believe in Science. The Christian faith leads us to believe that world has not been around very long. However, there is scientific proof that our world is over a billion years old. Some religious buffs even try lead us to believe that dinosaurs were a myth even, c'mon, get real. Are we going to discredit the entire universe beyond our tiny planet as well?

The whole idea of God, Jesus, and all of these miracles is seriously hysterical in my eyes. I can't believe that billions of people have been convinced throughout the years to believe mildly interesting fictional story as the truth. Do you honestly believe a man can walk on water? Duplicate fish and bread? Flood the entire world?

Many people use religion as a crutch, they see it as something to live for and as a guide to be a good person. I don't understand why you can't be a good person naturally and not because some mysterious fellow is up in the clouds.

There's so many things to say on the topic of religion, I'll chime in more as this thread grows.

You seem angry at the church, which is understandable. But what does the catholic church (a church I have little love for) trying to milk your family out of money have to do with whether or not God exists? I've said I don't believe that Christ was the son of God, but I believe in God. The great flood however I consider part of world history. It's a part of every single ancient culture's history, regardless of where in the world they live, so I think it happened.

I used that point to basically say that religion is all garbage, made up fluff.

I meant to talk about Noah on that one point. Two animals of every kind on a single belt.

I understand, my problem with Atheism comes from my background. I can't understand someone being able to except anything absolutely, that they cannot prove, there for Atheism makes no sense at all to me. tis all good. :)

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

You can't prove that there is a god either.

I just don't understand why people would waste their entire lives over a "what if?"

I don't have a problem with people being religious, as long as they're not pushing it on me. I just think they're really silly.

I passed on dating a girl recently, because she got really jesus on me. It was kind of like that movie "Saved" she pretty much told me I hadn't been saved yet.