Traveling from Boston to Chicago... Cool ideas?

Yo!

My girlfriend and a bunch of friends are driving from Boston to Chicago next month to go see Cap'n Jazz. I basically want to hear from people in Chicago as to what great places I need not miss, any cool places to check out along the way, cheap places to stay, etc.

We already have tickets to see the Cubs vs. Phils day game on the 16th, so I am ultra stoked on that. I have never been to Wrigley, and all I have ever heard was that it was a party in the bleachers.

Awesome jazz clubs? Restaurants? Museums? We have about 4 full days out there so let me know and thanks in advance!

-Matt

there's nothing to do in chicago, don't come here!

where are you staying? there are a number of infamous jazz clubs reasonably close to wrigley field (i.e. $5-10 cab ride) - the green mill (at broadway and lawrence) and kingston mines (wrightwood and halsted). the green mill is the oldest jazz club in chicago and was once owned by a member of the chicago outfit. al capone used to frequent the place, and supposedly there is a secret passageway underneath that only al capone could use. right next to the green mill is the uptown theater, where john dilinger was shot. there is a cover at the green mill on most nights, but it's never more than 10 bucks. i go on most sundays, cause it's so close to my apartment, and it's only $4.

the art institute is good for most modern art, asian art and impressionism. everything else there kind of sucks. the oriental institute at the university of chicago is great for ancient mesopotamian/assyrian/persian art. the lincoln park zoo is okay and free. the shedd aquarium is fucking AWESOME and highly recommended.

i'd be able to tell you more if i knew whereabouts you were staying, or other things you were interested in.

Well we are going to be driving, so we are going to have a car with us for the most part. The Cap'n Jazz show is at the Bottom Lounge. How is that place? Good sound? Crowd? I am assuming we will most likely be trying to find some dive motel to crash at and parties throughout the week to have fun at.

I am always down to check out some great art, museums, jazz clubs, I just don't know exactly which areas. What areas would you recommend to stay in?

i've heard great things about this hostel: http://www.getawayhostel.com/

it's in a safe area with a lot of bars, and really close to public transportation.

http://www.hichicago.org/

this one is downtown, with tons of access to public transportation and close to a lot of museums and stuff.

the bottom lounge is pretty alright, it's located in a warehousey district, there's easy public transit from the loop and it's relatively safe. every time i've been there it's been fun/good sound. if you're in the city overall i'd say it's much easier to take public transit. the blue and red lines (train) run all night, along with a number of the bus lines. http://www.transitchicago.com/

you're better off buying an unlimited pass for like 5 days, as the L gets expensive ($2.25 one way)

also, chicago is VERY bike friendly. if you're able to rent a bike, that's another good route to take. i know some hostels rent out bikes by the day. also, the city is logically designed - it's really easy to navigate. it's mostly on a grid with a couple diagonal streets going out from the center of downtown. check out http://wikitravel.org/en/Chicago for more info on stuff to do.

i'm not sure when the show is, but if it's after july 1st (i'm leaving for russia for two weeks on monday), i can probably show you around or give you some tips/insight into house shows or whatever if you are interested. just send me a PM.

also, i don't know if you smoke or not but be sure to stock up on cigarettes in indiana. prices in chicago rival those in NYC, but just across the state line a pack gets about $5 cheaper.

also, chicago is VERY bike friendly. if you're able to rent a bike, that's another good route to take. i know some hostels rent out bikes by the day. also, the city is logically designed - it's really easy to navigate. it's mostly on a grid with a couple diagonal streets going out from the center of downtown. check out http://wikitravel.org/en/Chicago for more info on stuff to do.

i'm not sure when the show is, but if it's after july 1st (i'm leaving for russia for two weeks on monday), i can probably show you around or give you some tips/insight into house shows or whatever if you are interested. just send me a PM.

also, i don't know if you smoke or not but be sure to stock up on cigarettes in indiana. prices in chicago rival those in NYC, but just across the state line a pack gets about $5 cheaper.

Dude I would love that. The show is July 17th and PM me if you want to try and figure shit out. Have a fucking blast and stay safe in Russia!