ATTN LABELS AND THOSE WHO RUN RECORD STORES

I also run a small label too, and doing more than 20 or so promos of vinyl is often near impossible. We just got a new record from the plant and can unfortunately only consider sending promos to a couple close friends and key press (Albert@Decibel, Scott@AP, Brian@Punknews). So for a new label who focuses on vinyl, there is not much of a solution to promo outside of digital.

this is insane. MAKE CD-R's.

I swear this suggestion is written in invisible digital ink or something. No one seems to see it the 40 million times it's stated.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel like it is an insult to someone to send them a CDR of something. That rules when people are okay with it, but in the past when I did send out CDR's of vinyl/digital only releases most people send it right to the trash. If you want to do proper promo on stuff like that, I would suggest making actual promos for a couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts. Like I said, I fully back the idea of people doing retail promo, I just don't think it makes a ton of sense with vinyl only stuff.

I would never send a CDR to a store. Its cool the amount of feedback people are giving. Hopefully more people who are willing to accept/want promos reply.

I agree, but I think I'll make some miniature versions of some record covers this weekend and burn CDs and mail them off so I'm not just mailing off a cheap-o CDr with little other info

Guest afsdan

gah! he is ASKING for CD-R's!

send him some god-damned CD-R's already and stop saying what you "feel". Steve is telling you how it "is"

edit: not directed @ Justin, obviously, because he is taking the advice given to him

if any labels in this thread or reading this thread want to send the store i work at promos:

Ernie November

Attn: Steven

1918 W 4st Street

Sioux Falls, SD 57105

we order from ILC, Revolver, Alliance Entertainment, Sound Of California, Ebullition, and Relapse all on a regular basis. Occasionally order from No Idea and Cobraside as well. If you have a label with somewhat decent distro and popular releases, I probably stock some new release and catalog titles. I do all of the indie ordering so I am also looking for new releases that I think I can bring in the store to sell to customers. I have releases from Kiss Of Death, 1-2-3-4 Go, Deathwish, Forge Again stuff in the store (those are the labels that posted in this thread). I honestly prefer CD's with retail packaging, because we display the case of the record we are playing on the counter and also have a listening station we sometimes put stuff in.

However, we are a small store and prefer to order from just a handful of distros and one-stops instead of from labels directly, honestly it's just easier and faster to restock, not to mention the store has been open for 20+ years so we obviously have very good terms with the bigger distributors (i.e. 90 days to pay for an order and free overnight shipping for example).

Oh yeah, our store carries Alternative Press too!

When I visited 1234go 2 months ago I was really pleased by the selection and plan on going back with a lot more money next time I am in the area.

I have only one release (a 7") so far on my label otherwise I would be sending stuff out to said stores.

chris,

I'd love to have the IR 7" in my distro, let me know if you'd be interested.

PM me or email me: [email protected]

Email sent!

gah! he is ASKING for CD-R's!

send him some god-damned CD-R's already and stop saying what you "feel". Steve is telling you how it "is"

edit: not directed @ Justin, obviously, because he is taking the advice given to him

it's not that I'm arguing the point of anyone saying that yes it's ok to send CDr promo's, my point is that I'd rather make a version that wasn't like a cop-out CDr in a case with only the track listing, and rather put effort into a cool package.

important question: how many people posting addresses of stores in this thread are the buyer? can people distinguish between being the buyer/owner and being an employee a little better? I think that would help people in figuring out where to send stuff.

Each person posting is where your records need to go. Doesn't matter if its buyer/owner or guy who sweeps up.

Guest afsdan

this thread is like stepping into the twilight zone. A few things:

1. it should not cost $100+ to make a buncha cool promos (get creative. it's called DIY for a reason)

2. surely even vinyl-only record labels have a digital copy of an album (like I do, for archiving). don't be a doofus by giving away all your vinyl copies. (again, get creative)

also, I still can't get over this nugget:

You haven't ordered any records from my label, so why would I send you one for free?

1234go and Lunchbox, your promo packs are on the way! The rest of the stores will go out next week when I get more CDR's (GASP!).

We shipped an order out to you today. :)

I know! :) Did you see that we moved recently? We can do in-stores now...

I heard.

I know our dude Andy does shows with John there, if we have someone in-storeable... we should work it out. Andy[at]deathwishinc.com does booking for most all our bands, and more.

important question: how many people posting addresses of stores in this thread are the buyer? can people distinguish between being the buyer/owner and being an employee a little better? I think that would help people in figuring out where to send stuff.

My boyfriend co-owns the store with me but he works another fulltime job so that we can actually afford food and stuff. I'm here 60+ hours a week. What's an employee?

Each person posting is where your records need to go. Doesn't matter if its buyer/owner or guy who sweeps up.

huh? This makes a HUGE difference.

huh? This makes a HUGE difference.

In this case I definitly wouldn't say "huge" by any stretch. If you're concerned about it getting to the right person you can always put "buyer" or whoever. However most stores posting in here are run by the people posting.