Surgery: Anesthetics

mcm1610

Tomorrow I'm going in for my first surgery ever, a hernia repair, and while I'm not too worried about that, I'm not sure what type of anesthetic to get. I have to go early to talk to the anesthesiologist but I'm not sure which way I'd prefer.

I'm not the best with needles, but I really don't think I want a tube down my throat...

If you had to have surgery, or have had it before, which route would you/have you gone?

a) Fully sedated and intubated

B) Local anesthetic with needles and (I forget what specific drug they'd give me) subdued, but apparently you're still "awake", you just have no idea what is going on and can't feel anything, then you don't remember anything later anyway.

The surgery is pretty simple and not-so invasive. I have a "sports hernia" as it's more commonly known, but I believe it's technically an inguinal hernia... the common one down in your groin where the intestines pop through where they should be. The surgery involves an incision more in your groin than in the crotchal-region (technical term) that the hernia is actually in, and they insert a mesh that helps keep the intestines on the correct side of the muscle wall and whatnot. They then stitch you up and send you home the same day.

oh damn. well, i always prefer to be conscious. i hate not knowing what the hell is going on with me. also, i hear being put under makes you groggier than you can imagine.

but then it depends on what kind of surgery, clearly. and i have no idea how intense a hernia repair is. im sure the anesthesiologist can help you walk through the pros and cons if you give him/her a decent idea of what youre feeling.

Guest falloutcollapse
I was to sleep when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and it was fine. You're out like a light and unbelievably stoned when you wake up.

While you were sleeping, I took my bottle of fermented shit and piss and put it under your nose. That's why you were "unbelievably stoned" when you woke up.

I was to sleep when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and it was fine. You're out like a light and unbelievably stoned when you wake up.

While you were sleeping, I took my bottle of fermented shit and piss and put it under your nose. That's why you were "unbelievably stoned" when you woke up.

HAHAHA Dude I had forgotten about that thread. +1

I'll add what the hernia repair entails to the original post.

ouch. i have no fucking clue what id do. i hate being put under but i think id freak out when they started cutting me up.

although, i was awake to get all four of my wisdom teeth taken out at one time. two were impacted. that was nooo fun, but i dont think id preferred to have been put under.

i think that whenever local anesthetic is an option then thats the way to go.

I had hernia surgery like 7 years ago and they knock'd me out.

They heavily sedat'd me, once I was knock'd out it felt like the surgery only took 10 seconds, and I was up again.

was really, really weird.

I was scared as hell too, and the anathesieologists were all like "we swear we've done this more than once"

I had hernia surgery like 7 years ago and they knock'd me out.

They heavily sedat'd me, once I was knock'd out it felt like the surgery only took 10 seconds, and I was up again.

was really, really weird.

I was scared as hell too, and the anathesieologists were all like "we swear we've done this more than once"

Haha well I'd hope so.

i cut my toe off 5 yrs ago on a friday before whatever the holiday at the end of may was. so the hospital was almost completely empty. the dr who did the reattachment, it was his first ever surgery. found this out 2 weeks at a check up it was his first. it took like 3 hrs for them to call in people to do the actual surgey... the hospital nearest to me isn't the greatest on the planet.

Guest kingbuzzo

I'd go with intubated. I had a hernia when I was born...but that doesn't really apply. My freshman year of high school though I separated my tendons from my ankle bone and broke a chip out of it and had to get a screw put in and they put me out completely. It wasn't bad except right before I went under I felt that I had to piss. Once I woke up I was loopy for a day.