god and jesus

kyle

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I'm the only atheist in a Catholic family. I'm a former Catholic myself, having went to Catholic school for 12 years. I have no problem with Christians (that don't act like Bill O'Reilly) and I get along just fine with every Christian I know. I also don't ever criticise anyone's beliefs, ever. I was drunk and pissed I had to sit through an hour+ long service at 12:00AM last night, and that post was just a fucked up joke, not a serious statement.

Its a little hard to tell consider you said "seriously if you believe this..."

I've got it worse than you. I grew up being spoonfed religion. I went to a private school, and I live in the Bible Belt. I'm surrounded by this shit. That doesn't mean I'm going to bash and generalize all Christians.

this is exactly whathappened to me.

Guest abravemorning
Who cares who does and doesn't believe in God? Let's talk about records!

Ok, the needle on my record player is shot so I just ordered a new one. Hopefully I'll get it this week.

I hate replacing needles. I've only had to do it once so far, but I had to shell out $20 for what I figured should be just a $5 part. Then it took me an hour just to figure out that I could just change the cartridge.

Ok, the needle on my record player is shot so I just ordered a new one. Hopefully I'll get it this week.

I hate replacing needles. I've only had to do it once so far, but I had to shell out $20 for what I figured should be just a $5 part. Then it took me an hour just to figure out that I could just change the cartridge.

That's what I meant. I just bought a new cartridge. Looks like it should be pretty easy to replace.

My family was viciously attacked by a southern baptist church my father worked at because my dad didn't preach was they wanted to hear and my mom worked outside the home. The fuckers tried to get him fired and ruin his reputation, and in one case get him arrested for murder. We finally left thank god and this was all when I was a kid. My memories of the church are fucked, and while some of you might have had nuns yelling at you or telling you all sorts of wonderful annoying backwards shit very very few of you have ever had an institution of faith try and destroy your family.

And regardless of all of that evil in the name of "god" i'm still able to see the possibility of a higher power and respect people who disagree. I think atheism is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is no god. Atheism requires just as much faith and anything else, because you're still arguing a point that you cannot prove. But it would never occur to me to be so disrespectful to others to make random statements as to just say everyone who believes differently than me is a fucking moron and a chump. Bash people of faith, but do it with facts. Now smite me again.

I think atheism is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is no god.

"I think believing in god is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is god."

See what I did there?

Your logic is kind of backwards, no?

I believe in science and my brain cannot comprehend some all mighty being created the world and he dropped his son off some billions of years later to walk on water and break some bread.

You're right, there's no way to prove how the world was created, but scientific theories are developed from proofs and those proofs make a lot more sense than the bible.

This argument will never end. People believe what they want to believe. If it makes them feel better, who the fuck cares? If you believe in God and Jesus, good for you. If you believe in a magic penguin that grants wishes, that's awesome, and I hope you'll use a wish for me. I don't give a fuck who or what anyone on this message board believes in or worships as long as it doesn't harm me or my family and friends

I think atheism is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is no god.

"I think believing in god is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is god."

See what I did there?

Your logic is kind of backwards, no?

I believe in science and my brain cannot comprehend some all mighty being created the world and he dropped his son off some billions of years later to walk on water and break some bread.

You're right, there's no way to prove how the world was created, but scientific theories are developed from proofs and those proofs make a lot more sense than the bible.

Its arrogant to believe that there are things you can't explain and believe their might be other forces in the world? I don't believe openness to the possibility is arrogant. I agree that most of the stuff in the bible is hard to swallow. I'm not a big follower of the bible. However, even when I was when I was younger I thought Science was where all the proof lay in regards to God. Evolution is a perfect defense mechanism to put into life, and given the mathematical impossibility of everything working out exactly right so that life could become what it is now just on chance, it makes sense to me that something else might have had a hand in it.

Saying faith and science can never come together is a ridiculous suggestion.

Guest abravemorning
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind ... a legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist."

-Albert Einstein, "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941

so, if you died and rose from the dead you would be a zombie, right?

then what does that make Jesus?

in all seriousness, I'm an agnostic.

For the most part faith and science can not come together because the bible says the earth is 6,000 years old while the earth below my feet begs to differ. science says that early man (6,000 years ago) lived to an average life expectancy of 17 while the bible has people that lived to over 400 years old. the bible has no dinosaurs while science, well, i've seen Jurassic Park and would beg to differ on their existence. My personal favorite is that the Red Sea (the one that Chuck Heston 'parted') is actually shallower in the middle than on the sides and that it was entirely possible for the water line to drop during a drought (which they were in) and for the wind to actually push water aside. Everything has a logical explanation.

I think that if you really look into the scientific evidence that disproves many of the basic tenets of christianity you would surprise yourself. granted, many things in the bible related back to actual events but there are so many things that do not.

I think that it all comes down to simply asking yourself what you can really believe. no god? sure. god? sure. the world will never know? sure. but before you make that decision you should really look into all the facts and make an informed decision without blindly pledging your faith to a religion and quoting soundbites from other people to make your points.

/steps of soapbox

so, if you died and rose from the dead you would be a zombie, right?

then what does that make Jesus?

in all seriousness, I'm an agnostic.

For the most part faith and science can not come together because the bible says the earth is 6,000 years old while the earth below my feet begs to differ. science says that early man (6,000 years ago) lived to an average life expectancy of 17 while the bible has people that lived to over 400 years old. the bible has no dinosaurs while science, well, i've seen Jurassic Park and would beg to differ on their existence. My personal favorite is that the Red Sea (the one that Chuck Heston 'parted') is actually shallower in the middle than on the sides and that it was entirely possible for the water line to drop during a drought (which they were in) and for the wind to actually push water aside. Everything has a logical explanation.

I think that if you really look into the scientific evidence that disproves many of the basic tenets of christianity you would surprise yourself. granted, many things in the bible related back to actual events but there are so many things that do not.

I think that it all comes down to simply asking yourself what you can really believe. no god? sure. god? sure. the world will never know? sure. but before you make that decision you should really look into all the facts and make an informed decision without blindly pledging your faith to a religion and quoting soundbites from other people to make your points.

/steps of soapbox

No where in the bible does it say the Earth is 6,000 years old.

There are dinosaurs in the bible, or at least references to creatures like them.

The explanation of the parting of the Red Sea has been proven false but it does look good in arguments.

The first two things however are bullshit propagated by ignorant Christians who haven't really read the bible.

Please don't lump everyone who believes in god in with ignorant christians.

Guest abravemorning

Loki's right. Not everyone that believes in God is a Christian. I consider myself more of an agnostic theist, or deist. Christians and Atheists need to learn that theology is not a black and white issue. Its a bit more complicated than that.

Saying faith and science can never come together is a ridiculous suggestion.

I don't think it's that ridiculous at all -- for you yes, because you obviously believe in god, but look at it from my perspective and it should make sense.

Think about how small we are on Earth in comparison to the rest of space -- it's entirely possible for the substances that make up the infinite regions beyond us to create everything that we know.

I've read some wacky things where the math is figured out and the Earth comes out to under 10,000 years. Regardless of how off the math probably is, the world that "god created" according to most religions is not umpteen billion years old.

I know it's not black and white, it's more black, yellow, orange, fushia, blue, and whatever color that sushi was that I just ate. There are so many religions out there and I think they're all hilarious. It's easy to poke fun at the Christians though, sure Scientology and the Mormons are the butts of a lot of jokes, but to me Christianity is funnier because sooooo many people believe in Zombie Jesus.

I know these arguments are relatively pointless and I'm not trying to convert anyone - - do what you want. I just think it's silly that people actually believe this stuff and I enjoy the laugh.

So, how did all of you who don't believe in God/Jesus spend the day yesterday? I would hope you didn't accept gifts on a day that celebrates something you don't believe in.

Oh I accepted plenty of gifts and gave quite a few too. The holidays really have nothing to do with Jesus in our family. It's just an excuse to get together, give gifts and spend time with each other. We had a family viewing of the new Rob Zombie Halloween movie on Christmas Eve. It brought our family even closer together.

So, how did all of you who don't believe in God/Jesus spend the day yesterday? I would hope you didn't accept gifts on a day that celebrates something you don't believe in.

i spent the day with my family and exchanged gifts because they happen to all be christians. it was quite nice.

i don't have any problems accepting gifts since i see it more as a day to get together with family and enjoy their company.

Do you spend Memorial Day memorializing all the fallen soldiers? Or Martin Luther King Day reciting the "I Have A Dream" speech? No. You take it as a day off and enjoy the people you're around. Christmas has virtually no religious connotations anymore unless you purposely choose to directly apply some.

My family was viciously attacked by a southern baptist church my father worked at because my dad didn't preach was they wanted to hear and my mom worked outside the home. The fuckers tried to get him fired and ruin his reputation, and in one case get him arrested for murder. We finally left thank god and this was all when I was a kid. My memories of the church are fucked, and while some of you might have had nuns yelling at you or telling you all sorts of wonderful annoying backwards shit very very few of you have ever had an institution of faith try and destroy your family.

And regardless of all of that evil in the name of "god" i'm still able to see the possibility of a higher power and respect people who disagree. I think atheism is a extremely arrogant and assumes to proclaim absolute knowledge of something we could never absolutely know. I'm talking proof, that their is no god. Atheism requires just as much faith and anything else, because you're still arguing a point that you cannot prove. But it would never occur to me to be so disrespectful to others to make random statements as to just say everyone who believes differently than me is a fucking moron and a chump. Bash people of faith, but do it with facts. Now smite me again.

Thats an awful story, really it is and I'm sorry you had to go through that. But being maliciously attacked by some whackjob members of a Southern Baptist Church is not the same as having "an institution of faith try and destroy your family".

Anyways, I have sob stories of my own, I don't want to get into it, but like your story, they were (and are) a huge burden on my life. They were life altering events that solidified my mother's faith but helped me turn away from my own and figure out what I really believe. The point I'm trying to make is I don't just have my beliefs because I got yelled at by nuns all day in school for years and years, thats just stupid. As a matter of fact, the only nun that taught me was Sister Mary Laura in the first grade, after that not one more teacher I had was a nun or a priest.

Anyways, my post was a joke, not one most people would instantly see as funny, but it was a joke nonetheless. Seeing as how you don't know me, and its the internet so you don't get the subtle nuances of the spoken word which can reveal true intent, I can understand why you would take it seriously. However, as I've already stated multiple times in this god-damned thread, it was a post I made while drunk and the anger comes through because I was genuinely angry I had to sit through an hour and a half of what I see as complete and utter bullshit. I don't really think that people who do believe this stuff are necessarily morons.

If I've truly offended you and your faith then I really am sorry. Otherwise, this is the internet, and when someone makes a stupid drunken post on a messageboard, you really should just brush it off and not get so worked up over it.