Fixing records

I have an LP that I bought new, but lucked out on the first pressing's color edition.

But it sounds like shit because the center hole is misplaced. I really want to salvage this record, so I cane up with an idea.

Fill in the hole with sonething (what could work?) and then cut a new hole in the middle (how could I do that?)

what do you think?

The only 7@s I have doubles of are the first Vindictives and Screeching Weasel's Happy Horny and snappy answers. Which to melt?

Rather than melting something you have I would just goto any local record store and see if they have anything damaged that they're willing to part with. i.e. cracked vinyl or whatever. You don't need an entire record.

i guess there's a juke box rental company in Chicago that will drill a 45/big hole into singles if you go to their office, I'd imagine you could take them an LP to, just a thought...maybe look into seeing if there are any vinyl juke box repair or rental shops and see if they have the set up for this.

I've had 2 different copies of OWTH Hospitals (the recess records press) with this problem. I returned the first one only to have the same problem with the new one, after that I decided to forget about it. Also my Recess records press of Banner Pilot Resignation Day has this problem.

A 45 hole! That sounds like a better idea.

I've had 2 different copies of OWTH Hospitals (the recess records press) with this problem. I returned the first one only to have the same problem with the new one, after that I decided to forget about it. Also my Recess records press of Banner Pilot Resignation Day has this problem.

You mean KOD?

Do we have any jukebox threads? Not that I can afford one right now, but I'd like to have some information.

If you were serious about that box cutter thing, i wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm just scared, but wait until you have access to at least a power drill, or in the best case, as Justin said, a drill press. Using a box cutter will almost certainly leave a wonky center hole, at best.

I wasn't serious about melting those records (don't need doubles,pm if intersted, shipping is very expensive), but I am serious about the box cutter. I don't have access to a drill. I often use a box cutter to widen my center holes (that sounds painfully erotic).

I think this might work. Though I like Justin's idea, melting vinyl sounds like a bad idea for me. I tried to clean records with wood glue and my records ended up shatered after I shattered them because I was frustrated that I cut through the grooves with my box cutter trying to peel the glue off. (tmi?)

I'm thinking, use the cutter to expand the hole to where it should be. Then fill the rest up with plaster or putty. Or ductape. McGuyver it.

Is everyone purposely giving terrible advice? Contact the store / label, see if you can exchange it. Or drill a large hole in the center and use a 45 adapter if you are dead set on doing something that probably wont turn out right.

holy shit that's a great idea. Just use the cutter to expand the hole. Tape on an adapter on the bottom so I don't over cut. Thanks man

Well, it turns out that my record cannot be repaired. The A side has the hole in the wrong place. The tone arm sways from left to right and the sound is awfully warped.

But the B side is fine. The hole is centered, too. Ice got a Leaning Tower of Pisa thing going on here. Get it? No can fix.

You mean KOD?

Oops! The BP record is KOD.