V.M.Live Presents...

[image]

being from chicago, i've seen miscellaneous records from this series basically as long as i can remember browsing through record stores. i never really paid much attention to them, though, probably because i saw them everywhere and they were really cheap (always like $1-3). but for whatever reason, i bought a few the last time i saw them and am thinking about half-heartedly going after the whole series.

the problem is, the more and more research i do, the more and more confusing this series becomes. it seems a bunch of recordings were made in preparation for release, but only a certain number of them ever made it to the pressing plant.

[image]

another confusing aspect of the series is that the catalog number doesn't always (if ever) match up with the "issue" number. for example, "Issue #1" is Blanks '77 recorded live at The Riviera on 7/7/94, but that is catalog number VML-006. there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to the numbering.

anyway, i was wondering if anybody had any of these records in their collections (i'm sure a bunch of you do) and could help me out with just solidifying my list of what's out there. i'm not necessarily looking to buy unless you'd sell them super cheap, but i'm just trying to create a concrete list of the series. so far, here are the ones that i'm SURE exist:

Issue # - Band - Date - Venue

0 - The Queers - 4/18/93 - Isabel’s Grand Finale

1 - Blanks ‘77 - 7/7/94 - The Riviera

2 - Submachine - 7/7/94 - The Riviera

3 - Pink Lincolns - 10/5/94 - Fireside Bowl

4 - Parasites - 12/3/94 - Off The Alley

5 - Sloppy Seconds - 12/29/94 - Fireside Bowl

6 - The Queers - 2/24/95 - Fireside Bowl

7 - The Smears - 2/24/95 - Fireside Bowl

8 - The Meatmen - 3/3/95 - The Empty Bottle

9 - Against All Authority - 7/16/95 - Fireside Bowl

10 - The Effigies - 12/16/95 - Lounge Ax

11 - Face Value - 10/8/95 - Fireside Bowl

12 - Swingin Utters - 7/18/95 - Fireside Bowl

13 - Migraines - 4/27/96 - Fireside Bowl

14 - Quincy Punx - 1/12/96 - Fireside Bowl

15 - J Church - 7/14/95 - Fireside Bowl

16 - Sicko - 3/23/96 - Fireside Bowl

17 - (Young) Pioneers - 5/30/96 - Fireside Bowl

18 - Naked Aggression - 10/15/95 - Fireside Bowl

19 - The Gotohells - 7/20/96 - Fireside Bowl

20 - Lynards Innards - 2/7/96 - Fireside Bowl

21 - 3 Blue Teardrops - 7/24/96 - Fireside Bowl

22 - Teengenerate - 11/2/95 - The Empty Bottle

23 - Parasites (2nd Edition) - 5/3/96 - Fireside Bowl

24 - The Freeze - 11/2/96 - Fireside Bowl

25 - Xerobot - 10/5/96 - Fireside Bowl

26 - Boris The Sprinkler - 11/1/96 - Fireside Bowl

27 - Total Chaos - 8/26/96 - Fireside Bowl

28 - Agent Orange - 4/26/96 - Fireside Bowl

29 - Horace Pinker - 4/26/96 - Fireside Bowl

30 - Urban DK - 12/7/96 - Fireside Bowl

31 - The Casualties - 4/15/97 - Fireside Bowl

32 - Teen Idols - 7/27/96 - Fireside Bowl

33 - No Empathy - 7/27/96 - Fireside Bowl

34 - Apocalypse Hoboken - 4/27/96 - Fireside Bowl

35 - M.D.C. - 9/8/96 - Fireside Bowl

36 - Drags - 5/3/97 - Fireside Bowl

37 - Nobodys - 8/29/96 - Fireside Bowl

this is a list of bands who i'm pretty sure were recorded, and some of them may have possibly been released, but i'm not nearly as sure about these as the ones listed above...

- AntiFlag

- The Automatics

- Brand New Unit

- The Gain

- The Hanson Brothers

- Jinx

- Pist

- Rhythm Pigs

- Supernova

i also know that an Avail set from 6/29/97 at the Fireside Bowl was recorded but was only released as a CD, and not as a 7". other bands who had sets recorded that were never released as a 7" include Furious George (full set from 5/30/98 at Fireside Bowl was released as a CD only), JFA (3 songs from this recording were released on the JFA/Faction split), Less Than Jake, L.E.S. Stitches (full set from 11/15/97 at Fireside Bowl was released as a CD only), and The Letterbombs.

for anybody interested, here's what's printed on the back of each release i have. a mission statement of sorts:

[image]

if anybody has any information on this series, please post it in this thread or PM me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the help so far, guys. if it's possible, do you think you could pull them out and give me the information on them that i have listed for the other ones?

i.e. "Issue #" as listed on the front cover, Date and Venue

again, thanks for the quick responses already. i'm really looking forward to completing this list...

i have these:

Avail Live (CD)

7":

J Church

Horace Pinker

Lynyrds Innards

the Effigies

Apocalypse Hoboken

Boris the Sprinkler

Face Value

the Freeze

the gotohells

the Migraines

Sloppy Seconds

Total Chaos

Urban DK

(Young) Pioneers

Sicko

i know there are 2 different Parasites 7"s too

might be CD only:

- Swingin' Utters

PRETTY SURE I'VE SEEN THESE in person:

- Brand New Unit

- Furious George

- The Hanson Brothers

- Horace Pinker

- L.E.S. Stitches

- Naked Aggression

I have this on a CD comp:

- The Hanson Brothers

...might have this on CD:

- AntiFlag

this one might be on the hanson brothers comp:

- The Automatics

thanks scott :)

yeah, i'm aware of a bunch of those CD comps. i think there's like 8? i don't know exactly. that's where i got a bunch of the bands on the list i have in the OP. i'm looking to find out how many of them were actually pressed as 7" though.

out of curiosity, do you remember if you were at any of these shows? or was this not really your scene yet?

update your list on the first page. I have a few of these and intend to collect all of them over time. Some people seem to think these are worth money, I don't, especially when the audio is pretty fuckin' horrible on most of them. If I have any you don't have, I'll see what I can do

Check my list, as I have pictures of a few of the ones I have, but can go through since I bought a few at a record store the other day.

okay, thanks dude. the OP has been edited and i'll try to edit it more and more as information comes in. i agree with your assessment as to their worth, too. i've seen them in record stores for like $5-7 and think that's way too much. then i see them in other stores for like $1-3 and think that's more reasonable haha. especially (like you said) considering the sound quality of most of the ones i have heard.

So, this is all of the issues I have that aren't listed in post #1. I also heard the queers issue was pressed on 1,000 clear, as well as the black. Maybe someone can confirm or deny. Also, the reason for the label release numbers not matching the issue numbers is the label did other releases, so these are kind of mixed in. Also, I found a list of most of the issues of VMLive, but these don't match up issue # wise. I'll post that below the records I actually have.

Issue #16 - Sicko - 3/23/96 - Fireside Bowl - Chicago, IL

Issue #12 - Swingin Utters - 7/18/95 - Fireside Bowl - Chicago, IL

Issue #31 - The Casualties - 4/15/97 - Fireside Bowl - Chicago, IL

Issue #32 - Teen Idols - 7/27/96 - Fireside Bowl - Chicago, IL

Issue #21 - 3 Blue Teardrops - 7/24/96 - Fireside Bowl - Chicago, IL

-------------

VML-002 Pink Lincolns

dustin - awesome! thanks for all the help.

kurt - that would be cool. i won't be able to check it for a few days, but i'd still love to see it if you have a chance.

scott - that's what i figured the timing was like. sucks.

Dan,

I believe Bucket's O' Blood Records on Milwaukee has one of the Parasites 7" and I think the No Empathy one.

haha funny you should mention that, justin... that's where i finally decided to start buying these when i see them. a couple weeks ago i went there with one mr. david anthony and picked up a couple. they were $4 each, if i remember right, but i wanted to support marc so i got them. if i have a chance to get back there soon i may pick up some more. but that's the thing; in chicago especially, these records are literally everywhere.