Fidelity on 33 1/3

guse

My friends and I were discussing if fidelity of a track is different on a 33 1/3 LP on the outter edge of the platter vs the inside. I know that the circumference on the outside vs the inside is different (obviously) and that the angular velocity is the same on inside vs outside, but does the fidelity change depending on location?

Thoughts?

Sound quality depreciates as you get closer to the inside. Generally this will be less of an issue on records that have been mastered/pressed very well. There have been a few articles on this (and also on why 45 rpm sounds better vs. 33 1/3 rpm). I'll post them once I find them.

Obviously though, it all comes down to what your ears tell you. Charts and graphs mean nothing comparing to what you actually hear.

This is (apparently) true.

Been told this by people that cut records. Also been told, "That's why older rock records would have ballads in the middle, and at the end of a record..."

I've heard that before, but I always refute it in my mind by thinking of Led Zeppelin IV...

If anyone can find a text that explains this, I'd certainly appreciate it.