What the fuck is wrong with my sound card?

casey

So, the soundcard on my laptop is fucked up. But I don't think it's totally gone, because I was running something through Audacity and it was playing through the speakers, but it didn't actually record anything. So it's kinda picking up sound and kinda not. It's really pissing me off that I can't watch videos online or do half the things that bring joy to my life and require a sound card. I can't imagine what I've done to fuck it up. It's definitely not a setting, because I've gone through all of the preferences and settings. Am I missing a codec or something? PLEASE HELP!!!

Control panel > sounds and audio devices > make sure 'mute' is unchecked > in the device volume box go to advanced > then under the first column go to advanced > at the bottom make sure digital output is UNCHECKED. Thats always been an issue for me.

if that doesn't work, just click on uninstall driver and restart. It will re-recognize your sound device on restart and act like its brand new, whereas reinstalling the sound driver will simply revert most of the old settings back. Hope this helps!

EVENT VIEWER ???

DEVICE MANAGER??

What about them? What am I supposed to look for?

Just to check if the Device Manager has spoted a problem with your soundcard. Maybe a yellow symbol on it. Means..."Houston we have a problem"

Like the guy under me wrote - uninstall the driver software and let the system boot - and re-install the whole th shit.

The Event Viewer makes a log of everything that happens on your PC.

Look after the yellow and red marks...and read them. Maybe there is something fishy?