PROBLEM- very low playback volume

tokimedo

Hey guys,

quick question, (and excuse my n00bness) My friend just set up his sound system, so i brought my ion over to hook it up with the red and the white to his receiver. surround sound, the whole shebang. when the receiver is at 60 volume, the house should be shaking. when he hooks it up to his playstation it does, its very loud.

but when we hook up the turntable to the receiver, at volume 60, its only pumping at about 20% volume level. its REALLY quiet, and the subwoofer isnt even working. i know its not my table cause i use it at my house and everything is ok, and we know its not the receiver cause it works fine when hooked up to the playstation.

anybody have ANY idea what the issue may be? any help would be appreciated. thank you!

i would think there has to be an amp in the receiver cause the speakers arent powered any other way? and when its hooked up to the PS3 its loud as all hell.

im gonna find the sound system right now online.

found it - http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-GMX-D-5-1-Digital/dp/B00008UA3C

so im guessing there is a pre-amp in the tv, and thats why the speakers and sub work when its plug into that for the ps3? if im understanding you right.

if thats the case, you guys have any suggestions for some good inexpensive pre-amps that would work with that sound system? im gonna google some now, but would love to hear your opinions on any youve had in the past/currently have.

once again, thank you guys for any and all of your help. its so disheartening listening to these records at like a whisper volume. >:|

an ion TTUSB10 is the one i have. im gonna take it back to my house, once my friend gets his set up, the akai AP-A1. that one is old school so it DEF doesnt have a pre-amp. hes gonna order the one i linked.

just checked my ion under the platter, and didnt see anything tho :/