Question about experiences ordering from Interpunk

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with ordering from Interpunk. I placed an order with them last week. All the items that I placed in my cart displayed as being in stock when I placed my order. When I checked my order the following day it had 2 of my 6 items listed as "On Order (Expected in stock in 3-6 days)" and "On Order (Expected in stock on Monday Nov 8, 2010)". I messaged them to ask why they list items on their site as "in stock" when they don't actually have them "in stock". I get this back as a response:

In most cases everything is in stock and orders ship out within a day of you placing it. Unfortunately in this case, there were items on your order that needed to be stocked. These potential delays are mentioned on the checkout page as well as in the confirmation email we send out when an order is received. I'm sorry if you were not aware of the delay.

So basically what the dude is saying is that it's not their fault because they say in the fine print that things they list as "in stock" may not actually be "in stock". Maybe I'm just being uptight here but I think this is a very poor way to run a business. If you don't actually have something don't say that you have it and try to sell it.

To make things worse one of those on order items eventually changed from "On Order" to "Backordered". So they basically don't have any idea when they'll get it again and it'll hold up my order for god knows how long until it finally shows up (if it ever shows up). I ended up replacing that item with something else to only have that new item show up as "ON ORDER (Expected in stock in 3-6 days)". I'm about ready to message Todd back and tell him where to stick it.

And according to my account information the last time I ordered from interpunk was in 2001. I have a feeling I won't be ordering from them ever again.

yeah, pretty much. although i think it does tell you if its in stock in your cart.

i buy from interpunk because they usually stock the import back on black metal records. and i usually get them for a decent price.

but i've waited for up to a month before ive actually gotten the product.

interpunk's "stock" system is the worst. they've had one particular record available for purchase for three years now, and it has been backordered for all those three years. ive brought it to their attention and they have still yet to take it down. plenty of other records have been saying "available to ship in 3-6 days" pretty much every day for a few years now too. you would think a company like interpunk would have some sort of system to let them know when the last one of any item leaves their warehouse, but apparently they dont, and they dont care about the inconveniences it causes their paying customers.

is it annoying when a record keeps saying "On Order (Expected in stock on Monday [date], 2010)" and then when that date rolls around, it gets bumped another week or two? yes

is it awesome that they at least tell you that (as opposed to not telling you anything for a week or two while you log in to your account every day to check to see if it's shipped yet)? yes

is it awesome that, more often than not , their "expected in stock date" is either accurate or a conservative estimate (on a record-by-record basis)? yes

sure, I'm slightly annoyed that the goon moon "licker's last leg" record in my current order is likely backordered and will never actually be in stock, despite the system telling me it expects it to be available next monday, but if you know that going in to it, what's the problem? and if you don't know that going in to it, you can always cancel the item or the order yourself (without having to worry about a refund because they haven't charged you yet), and order it somewhere else.

if nothing else, use it to your advantage. for instance, whenever I'm debating whether or not I really want to order a limited record that will surely sell out, I can order it along with the goon moon record and, tada!, I've got a few more weeks to think about it, during which I usually decide it's worth it, add a few more records to that order, and cancel the goon moon record, all without emailing customer support and spending 20 minutes trying to figure out the best way to explain the situation.

now I just need to decide if I want to pay the extra $3 to split my order up so I can get my riverdales, manges, and bad astronaut records before the methadones and the queers pre-orders come in stock... decisions, decisions...

I've gotten to the point where I have so much music that I have yet to listen to, that it doesn't bother me when this happens. If it takes a week or two to get to me, fine. If it takes a month or two to get to me, that's fine too. At least they let me know what is ready to ship, and what might take awhile to get in. That way, if I want it faster, I can decide if I want to cancel the item that needs to be canceled in order to make that happen.

I suppose I should clarify that what I'm ordering is all t-shirts; no vinyl or anything...

I did overlook that category on the checkout screen that would have told me if something was ready to ship or on order so that's my bad. I just think it's kind of stupid that I could potentially add a ton of things to my cart that the site is portraying as having in stock and end up having all the items show up as "on order". for example, if you search for the band Mono and try to add any of their shirts to your cart... they ALL show up as "on order". In my case, on order is a bit misleading becuase it eventually changed to backorder. So going back to my initial complaint... they have all sorts of things listed on their site that they don't actually have. They just have the means (sometimes, apparently) of getting them for you. At least they won't charge you until they have everything and it's ready to be shipped out.

So while I can see the upside of the system... it still pisses me off.

Happened to me once and I was annoyed. Rocky Votolato's Suicide Medicine lp. In situations like this, it would be nice if the company would do something to make their error right. Instead of saying in not too few words, sorry but too bad, they could refund shipping, or add 5-10% of your order to your Interpunk rewards money. It's their fuck up and it's delaying my record a week. I don't think you're making too big a deal out of it, because they don't give a shit.

Someone recently mentioned on the boards that Interpunk has a few Fat City magazines with free 7" records. I order one of those and the new Mighty Mighty Bosstones album and now I have the same problem. Two out of the three items are listed as "On Order: In Stock in 3-6 Days." That was October 18. No effort in communication has been made since then.

I didn't expect these items to be in stock when I placed the order (even though they were listed as such). They should really take down the listing if it's no longer in print or available from the distributor. I'm thinking about canceling my order since it's not worth the one 7" that I added last minute.

Other than that, I've ordered from interpunk 18 times over the past 7 years and have had no problems. Yep, I counted.