reciever/speaker reccomendation thread

Hey yall,

I just bought a pro-ject debut iii turntable and am looking to upgrade my entire stereo system. I am new to stereo equipment(my current table is an all in one bullshit so i did not have anything legit) so any info that can steer me in the right direction would be fantastic. I am looking to spend around $1000 on the receiver and speakers which i feel is a modest price for a great sounding system. I have been told by one of my friends who does audio interior installations that i should get a 5.1 receiver and speakers but not sure what sounds best for turntables. If anyone is either selling some of their old equipment or has some tips/links to help me out then it would be highly appreciated. Thanks for everyone's time who read this thread.

I did a lot of research last year and ended up picking a refurbished 2 channel Peachtree Decco amp that's treated me well thus far. Good balance between quality and style with a great built in DAC.

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/decco/the-decco.html

It's driving a pair of B&W DM601 speakers that I purchased off craigslist. A combo like that should definitely keep you under $1000.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/b-and-w/dm-601/PRD_120863_4290crx.aspx

I have a Marantz SR6004 B

7 x 110 Watt / 8 Ohm RMS

Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD

Dolby Pro-Logic IIz

M-DAX

Audyssey Dynamic EQ und Dynamic Volume

It´s perfect for TV/DVD/BR / PS3 but is also has a very good stereo sound.....

I am useing that for my mp3 music....

for records I use this setup

[image]

Projetct III with a Dynavox VR-70E and Dali Speakers...

I can´t recommend Harmann & Kardon at all...but most stores have them around here.... .......the quality is pretty shitty....

speakers : Dali speakers (punk/metal,rock) but that is a personal taste.....it would be always the best thing to go somewhere , bring your music along and give it a try directly in the store...

I got the pro-ject debut III for christmas actually but it was just replacing my turntable in my old setup. If it helps i will be running this through a Marantz PM6003 and some Mordaunt Short Aviano bookshelf's, i did quite a bit of shopping around and i'm really, really happy with this. Once i added decent speaker cables it came in at £500, so comfortably inside your budget!

Personally I recommend a stereo receiver for a turntable system, not 7.1 or A/V receiver.

I have 2 full setups in my house, one for home theater which I use a 2009 model Pioneer A/V receiver in order to gather up all the HDMI inputs and take one cord to the TV. That has a 200w Klispch center, 2 200w pioneer floor / bookshelf speakers for front, 2 150 watt satellites for surround and a booming polk 12" 300 watt sub. Movies sound awesome, music sounds fine too, but I only play the iPod on this system. The receiver has so many features I use for TV and movies, but would never use for music inputs.

Upstairs int he record room I used my old receiver and turned off all the digital conversion crap and run it stereo with no filtering. This sounds better then any of the built in EQs and is running to 2 very large Sony floor speakers. Each of those has a 12" woofer, 2 10" mids and a 2" tweeter. My father found them for me this summer at a yard sale, and paid 1 dollar a piece for them, they are in absolutely perfect condition.

My point is there is so much out there, just shop around, go to thrift and pawn shops, don't spend 400 bucks on a A/V receiver when you need analog stereo only. Same for speakers, I shopped for over a year until my pops found those for 2 whole dollars, meant more money for records. The only new speakers I bought were the center and sub, only because those don't pop up used that much.