Gaslight Anthem EP on Amazon MP3 download

The success of iTunes, Amazon, and eMusic prove that people are willing to pay for music. However, it is still not perfect and people will still download music for free given the easy opportunities.

The online stores need to change a bit as well, because it is much easier to download a record from a torrent site or via p2p software than it is to get a 1-to-1 cd quality and DRM free recording from the aforementioned stores.

Under their current system record labels are becoming less and less useful by the day. The Internet is such a great marketing tool that the only reason you really need a high profile label is to get your music in Wal-Mart and on the radio. It's the labels that need to change, because the general public sure isn't.

this is all more then true.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking (downloading) something for free that you would normally have to pay for is stealing.

It's both copyright infringement and stealing at the same time.

This whole thread started because we already paid for the record and we wanted to hear it.

I think those who support vinyl should be automatically entitled to digital downloads while we wait on shipping.

false.

Prove me wrong.

When is a song Copyrighted? When you 'fix it in a tangible form' (record it or write it down).

However, this in no way shape or form proves anything. You're telling me that every song I've ever written is copyrighted? Ill tell you this, none of them are, why? because i havent filed them with the US copyright office.

Take for example:

If I write a song down, you claim it to be copyrighted. I go to a show, play my song, and someone at the show is videotaping the show. He goes home, listens to my song, thinks its great, and says to himself that he wants that song. He writes down the lyrics, even records a shitty version of it with garage band, burns a cd of it and files it with the US copyright office.

I realize this a year later when dude is getting huge airplay on the radio, and im like "yo, thats my song, wtf?". Can i sue him? of course i can, im the copyright owner right? Well i did write it down. But then in court he pulls out his registered mail receipt from the copyright office and goes, but wait! i have the copyright right here. Im screwed. He wins. Simply writing something down doesnt copyright it, doesnt guarantee any form of protection what so ever. Registering with the US copyright office is the only way to viably guarantee those rights that come along with holding a copyright.

thusly so, simply writing down a song doesn't do shit as far as copyright is concerned.

just saying.

so is this uploaded anywhere by now? and yes, i purchased already two copies on 7inch...

Yeah, it's uploaded on Amazon and iTunes' music stores. Alternately, you can download an MP3 of one of the songs for free off of the band's website (or maybe it's Fuse's website, I forgot).