Gaslight Anthem EP on Amazon MP3 download

You're the dense one if you believe that downloading music is stealing.

um, downloading music IS stealing.

No, it's not.

Why do you think it's stealing?

Stealing means you are taking something from someone.

Let's say for example that I download band X's new album. I listen to it once, delete it. Did I really steal Y dollars from them?

No.

If you do not understand why downloading music is NOT stealing, then please Google around a bit or I'll chime in later.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 2008, downloading music via Amazon, iTunes, and torrent sites is at a peak. These numbers are only going to grow. The music industry needs a big time change and I think it's time independent labels take charge. They should give you, for free, MP3 downloads of every album you purchase. Make them available a week or a few days before a record ships or entice pre-orders with them.

Band's complain so much about people leaking their music, but it's generally not their fans. It's the folks who get the promo copies for reviews that are posting BAND_X_ALBUM_Y_FLAC_SCENE on websites. The band's themselves should "leak" their record first and by that I mean be the first ones to make it available. Allow someone to pay for the record online as soon as it's to the band's liking. No one wants to wait for anything anymore, that's the information age and record labels better catch up, because they're way behind.

um, downloading music IS stealing.

No, it's not.

Why do you think it's stealing?

Stealing means you are taking something from someone.

Let's say for example that I download band X's new album. I listen to it once, delete it. Did I really steal Y dollars from them?

No.

If you do not understand why downloading music is NOT stealing, then please Google around a bit or I'll chime in later.

I think that's splitting hairs a little bit. It's not physical stealing of a tangible item. However, downloading for free something that you're supposed to pay for is costing someone else money and taking money from them through illicit means. I'm from the school that if you bought the vinyl than downloads are fair game. However, if you download the mp3s and the label/artist/etc. hasn't received any of your money then it is stealing.

Kirby, you're not going to beat me by using illogical arguments. I was a Music Business major, I know what i'm talking about. While it doesn't make me always right, it gives me a little more of a grounding in this stuff.

I understand that you all think that downloading is not stealing but it is. Let's step back a little bit and take a more straightforwards look at this:

When an artist creates a work it is copyrighted the second it is written down. They now own the intellectual copyrights to that song and there will be a mechanical copyright once that record is pressed. The song is owned by the artist (unless they have a publishing deal, long story) for the rest of their lives and 70 years after that. Once it's recorded and put into/onto a format for sale to the consumer the ownership of the song is still the property of the artist (and many times, part owned by the label) regardless of what format it is in.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you were to make copies and distribute or download a copy without buying it you are stealing an artists work which is their property. Just the same as if you bought a bootleg CD outside a Metallica concert or purchased a sticker of Calvin pissing on a Triple Crown Records logo. The artist owns the rights to their music just in the same way that an artist would own rights to their paintings and their designs or an inventor holds a patent.

Downloading IS stealing. I'm not trying to be Big Brother on this whole ordeal but it's the truth. Have I downloaded? Yeah. Do I distribute free copies of an independent band's work when they probably won't see a dime off of their physical copies sold and make less than $500 a night touring? Nope.

Downloading IS stealing. I'm not trying to be Big Brother on this whole ordeal but it's the truth. Have I downloaded? Yeah. Do I distribute free copies of an independent band's work when they probably won't see a dime off of their physical copies sold and make less than $500 a night touring? Nope.

Do you advocate STEALING local cable in other threads? Yup.

And do you SEE the difference between stealing music from an independent artist and stealing the cable signal that is already being broadcast into my house from a CORPORATION?

And do you SEE the difference between stealing music from an independent artist and stealing the cable signal that is already being broadcast into my house from a CORPORATION?

Didn't you say that you shouldn't steal cable anyways?

if i like a band, i download the music. then if they come around here, i'll pay the money to go see them live, buy the record directly from them, as well as probably a shirt and pack of pins or usually whatever release it was that i downloaded.

if they don't come around this area, i still usually end up buying an lp or shirt or something if they're available.

i think theres a line in the sand that people can't see. is it 'stealing'? yes, it is. is it taking money away from them? not necessarily if said downloader is still supporting the band in other ways.

if i download a bands cd, and then pay 20 dollars for a shirt, ... they're still making money off me anyways.

my logic may be flawed on this. haha

So you put multi-billion dollar corporations in the same boat as punk bands?

Taking something that isn't yours without due compensation is stealing, regardless of whether or not it's from a punk band, a multi-national corporation, or some annoying little kid selling lemonade on your street corner.

If I've got $30 left over for the month I would much rather spend it on food than pay for cable. Hell, I only watch four channels as it is.

I didn't say it wasn't stealing.

if i like a band, i download the music. then if they come around here, i'll pay the money to go see them live, buy the record directly from them, as well as probably a shirt and pack of pins or usually whatever release it was that i downloaded.

if they don't come around this area, i still usually end up buying an lp or shirt or something if they're available.

i think theres a line in the sand that people can't see. is it 'stealing'? yes, it is. is it taking money away from them? not necessarily if said downloader is still supporting the band in other ways.

if i download a bands cd, and then pay 20 dollars for a shirt, ... they're still making money off me anyways.

A lot of people go by this view point, it's not flawed.

Hell, it's something that I do and have done since before downloading. If you like a band you buy a shirt and at the same time you get to look cool and support a musician.

Taking something that isn't yours without due compensation is stealing, regardless of whether or not it's from a punk band, a multi-national corporation, or some annoying little kid selling lemonade on your street corner.

If I've got $30 left over for the month I would much rather spend it on food than pay for cable. Hell, I only watch four channels as it is.

I know you didn't say it wasn't stealing...

My point is that on one hand you're waxing poetic about the evils of downloading music, and on the other you're rationalizing stealing local cable. Seems a bit disingenuous is all.

A lot of people go by this view point, it's not flawed.

Hell, it's something that I do and have done since before downloading. If you like a band you buy a shirt and at the same time you get to look cool and support a musician.

yeah, totally dude. i just guess i can see why people would consider downloading 'not stealing'... i thought that for a long time.

'i'm not stealing from the band if i'm still dropping tons of money on other shit from them" haha.

let me chime in.

i played the lotto one day at a mom and pop shop. i just bought a dollar scratch of ticket. no harm in that. i paid with a ten dollar bill. i got back nineteen dollars, instead of nine. whoops! someone fucked up! after some thinking, i went back into the store and gave the extra ten back. why? because it was a mom and pop shop. if i had bought the scratch off ticket from 7-11 or something, i'd have just taken it and gone.

i didn't win any money off the scratch off ticket. lame.

in my opinion, its fair game to steal from a corporation, even though it IS stealing. they have millions of customers who already pay for them.

art should be free, anyway. support a band by going to shows and buying their merch.

I know you didn't say it wasn't stealing...

My point is that on one hand you're waxing poetic about the evils of downloading music, and on the other you're rationalizing stealing local cable. Seems a bit disingenuous is all.

I'm not waxing poetic. I was stating facts in my earlier post and comparing a corporation with a small punk band in another.

It's not disingenuous. They sent the cable signal into my house and I was smart enough to plug the end of the coax into my TV. Simple as that.