Planning a trip to Japan or Spain (need advice)

Guest markovianprocess

I'd say go to Japan, but that's because it seems less likely to have obnoxious British families there. I say this as a British person, they tend to use Spain as some sort of awful yearly getaway where they harass people for not serving chips and speaking fluent English. You're probably talking about going to a nicer part of Spain though. I can echo the, it hasn't been very pleasant sentiment.

Just went to Japan in november. Here are somethings to really consider

- Can you hang with that kind of travel. My flight there was 14 hours non stop, and to get to my buddies place was another 3 hours on trains. All is all it was a full 24 hours from my front door in long island to his place in the mountains. So if your only looking to go for like a week, it might not be worth it with the amount of travel involved

-Do you know people there or will you have a guide? the language is extremely difficult, my friend has been there for 6 years and still gets very frustrated, and he is an English teacher over there. there are also alot of cultural things you would have to know out of respect in Japan, for example you cant hand someone money when buying something. Also always walk on the left, odd things like that. how to use chop sticks properly etc.

-Food. I have a bad shellfish allergy, so I had to be super careful and had an epipen on me at all times. Portions are way smaller over there as well, so that will take some time to get used to

PM me if you have anymore questions, it was a friggin' mind blowing time, the people are beyond polite and everywhere is super clean clean. An amazingly beautiful country as well.

Well, to be fair, you're from cologne so I'm sure you have high standards for how things should smell.

there might be some truth behind that but i usually dont complain about stuff like that. that was really like walking through a toilet, though, you had to keep your head down for not stepping into shit.

funniest moment was when we were walking apart from all the tourist-streets and right before walking in a smaller street a woman ran to us and warned us not to go there because of thieves who are willing to bash your head (yes, thats what she told us) and get your money.

apart from the negative things (smell + thieves + smelly thieves) the country has its beautiful spots, too.

Well, to be fair, you're from cologne so I'm sure you have high standards for how things should smell.

there might be some truth behind that but i usually dont complain about stuff like that. that was really like walking through a toilet, though, you had to keep your head down for not stepping into shit.

funniest moment was when we were walking apart from all the tourist-streets and right before walking in a smaller street a woman ran to us and warned us not to go there because of thieves who are willing to bash your head (yes, thats what she told us) and get your money.

apart from the negative things (smell + thieves + smelly thieves) the country has its beautiful spots, too.

Damn...you're really making me want to visit Europe right now.

i've been there four times and while you do have to watch out for thieves (as you do anywhere touristy) i have to say i never experienced any smell... at least not one that you wouldn't expect in any city. I also didn't experience these shit-lined streets you mention.

I went to Japan a few years ago and it was pretty sweet. Like von mentioned though, the language barrier is HUGE. I haven't done a lot of international travel, but the friend I went with to Japan has done a ton and he said Japan was definitely the hardest place to communicate that he's been.

i'd go to japan. no questions asked. somewhere rural though...I hear Tokyo is pretty grody. I figure it's like NYC with used panties in vending machines.

Half true...

I wasn't too in Tokyo all that much, just because it was the last stop on my trip and I had seen alot of the country side as well as some other cities (Kyoto, Osaka) and they were just way cooler spots to see then Tokyo, for me personally.

Now for the panties in the vending machine thing, in Tokyo no, in other parts of Japan, for sure.

i've been there four times and while you do have to watch out for thieves (as you do anywhere touristy) i have to say i never experienced any smell... at least not one that you wouldn't expect in any city. I also didn't experience these shit-lined streets you mention.

there wasnt shit everywhere but enough to make me not want to go there a third time. ive been walking around aside of the big streets (on my search for record stores - just to find out most of them were closed that day boohoo).