i need advice/opinions

so with my job searches showing no leads whatsoever, i took to craigslist a couple weeks ago, and responded to a few ads. monday, i got a call back from one of them asking to go in for an interview yesterday morning. didnt know anything about the company, but figured wtf- it cant hurt to check it out. i showed up, and it was a small office inside a small strip of shops. there were about 5 other people there at the same time, filling out applications, and we got interviewed one after the other- with each one being no more than 10-15 minutes.

my interview was brief, where i did very little talking about myself- at the end of it, i was told to call back in about an hour, as everyone else was doing, and theyd let me know if they wanted me to come back for today. and they did, so i did.

went back this morning, and when it was supposed to be a group orientation, there were only two of us.

basically the company is all about selling these air purifiers that double as vacuums, and the better portion of the day was spent learning the sales pitch.

the rest of the day was basically learning how we get paid, and how much we get paid.

everything points to pyramid scheme so far, right?

but its not a commissioned base pay. you get paid this much for this many demonstrations of the product- and i think $300 per unit sold.

and its not telemarketing, or door-to-door crap. the only people who you sell to, are people who have agreed to meet you upon word of mouth from other customers. so it seems far less scummy trying to sell to someone when youre already on good terms with them.

so basically, every time you go to someones house, and present the product- youre also asking for referrals from them.

i might be a total jackass on this one- but the scripted presentation we were taught today was impressively convincing. shows every reason why eliminating your vacuum and using this air purifier as both is not only cheaper, but also exponentially more effective. (i know... this probably sounds completely ridiculous. but its so convincing!)

other notes:

+i know the receptionist from high school- she seems to love it

+with the figures presented, it seems like money comes extremely easy as long as youre not lazy/an ass (something like $300 a week if you show to 8 couples? plus the commission if you sell)

-every time they talked about other employees, they mentioned how theyd been there a short time.

-they also made it seem like they had this big staff, but there were very few people in the office most of the time.

(one of the things that really got me, was upon introduction, the other guy and i got "ryan and kyle? oh that should be easy! we already have a ryan and kyle!")

-to go along with the suspicion of pyramid scheme, the dude straight out told us about what he gets from our sales.

+?- my would-be-boss noticed im from the town where he lives. and after a moment i realized he literally lives next door to my friends house where i spend almost every night smoking weed and playing rock band. (i just found this entertaining mostly)

-/+ the other kid i was with was a total jackass. a good kid, but he has absolutely no chance at this. but he was SO bad, i almost worry he was a plant to make me feel better about my chances of selling.

so honestly, i get it if anyone reading this thinks im nuts. but id really like to get some input. (i know that i wouldnt be able to explain 1/4 of that to anyone in person without being laughed at)

im supposed to go back tomorrow for further training.

it sounds like Cutco. not really a pyramid scheme, but something close to it. it seems like there isn't really any liability on your end, so if you're motivated enough to bust your ass, you could make a decent dime and not have to worry about getting screwed in the end. i'm just not sure that any promises of "moving up the ladder" will come to fruition. perhaps consider it a placeholder job, and use it to rake in some cash while you continue your search?

aren't these the same rainbow vacuums that were all the rave like in the early 90's or some shit?

id never heard of them before. which was shocking, because it really doesnt make sense that this style vacuum doesnt have a bigger place in todays technology.

but i have a list of questions and concerns that ive conjured up after spending the day thinking about it. so i plan to get some one on one with the boss tomorrow and see how he fields all that. (but hes a slick salesman.. so probably really well)

This doesn't sound at all like a pyramid scheme. A pyramid scheme is when someone gives you money and you pay them back with others' money.

Sounds like a small company sales position. If you need the money, go for it. It is definitely a commissions based job, though. You get a small base pay ($300/week, which is basically minimum wage) plus commissions.

I say if you are in a pinch go for it and just make what you can until you can find something more substantial or definitive to grow and move up.

Ps: Where are you located? Have you thought about the oil and gas industry?

I am a petroleum engineer, but I know guys on the rigs make bank and it is a honest good job. A LOT of hard work and shit, but it pays really really well. If you work on a rig or in the industry other than a desk job most run 2 on 2 off, where you may work 2 weeks straight then be off for 2 weeks.

Also helps that the land based oil and gas industry is booming right now. I mean in Midland Texas there are rigs going non-stop. Montana, South Dakota, Texas, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, etc etc are all really active. Just a thought, as there are literally tons of jobs that take hard work and pay great. You can work for a drilling company, service company, well services, etc etc.

If at all interested look into monster.com and more specifically rigzone.com.

You were really just hoping to sell one to someone on this board.

snap got me!

well i go back in around 2:00 today. im just glad im not getting lashed at for being stupid enough to fall for something.. puts me a bit more at ease.