Pedro the Lion Progress/Guitar for Janie

mdb

I got this today and it has to be one of the weirdest releases ever. I was wondering if anybody could fill me in on the back story.

For those who aren't familiar, it's a 7-inch of the Progress ep except without the two live tracks. It comes inside of a little book called "A Guitar for Janie" that's supposedly a children's story, but doesn't really read like one. The pictures are tiny and in black and white, the type is small, and it's not especially well written. It's by someone called Buchen, the illustrations are by Rob Patterson, and it's basically about a little girl who plays air guitar in her room, knocks out her teeth and ,implicitly, gets a real guitar.

I have no idea what this story has to do with a song about a mother who commits suicide after giving birth and another about how depressing domestic life can be. The only connection I can make is that the story is supposed to serve as a sort of counter to the themes in the songs, like, "see, kids are cool!" Progress most definitely does not serve as a soundtrack though.

Was Bazan actually involved with the story at all? Where did this idea come from? I'm so confused!

where'd you get it from and how much, if you dont mind me asking?

I got it on ebay for $12 last week and it arrived today. I was actually the only bidder, which I still can't believe. I can't take photos right now but if you do a google image search for "pedro the lion" "guitar for janie" you can see what it looks like.