What are your OCD record tendencies?

this thread is like a support group. it rules.

first i slit the shrink with a knife where the jacket opens. then i slide off the shrink and either a) fold it in quarters if it has a sticker or any sort of unique marking or B) discard it if it's plain shrink. i immediately transfer the record into a rice paper inner-sleeve and pull out a sealable polypro bag. i usually give the record a spin immediately, inspect it for defect if it was used, check for warping if new or used. when it's done, i replace it in the rice paper sleeve, slide it into the jacket with the original white sleeve, slide the jacket and folded shrink into the polypro bag, and seal. i file my records alphabetically by band, and chronologically within each band group. i try to update my google doc immediately, but i've gotten a little lazy with it.

weooo!

i usually peel any stickers off the front if they have info on the record (not just a 'free download' or '180 gram vinyl' sticker) and put it on my poly bag in the same area it was on when it was on the shrinkwrap.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread is like a support group. it rules.

first i slit the shrink with a knife where the jacket opens. then i slide off the shrink and either a) fold it in quarters if it has a sticker or any sort of unique marking or B) discard it if it's plain shrink. i immediately transfer the record into a rice paper inner-sleeve and pull out a sealable polypro bag. i usually give the record a spin immediately, inspect it for defect if it was used, check for warping if new or used. when it's done, i replace it in the rice paper sleeve, slide it into the jacket with the original white sleeve, slide the jacket and folded shrink into the polypro bag, and seal. i file my records alphabetically by band, and chronologically within each band group. i try to update my google doc immediately, but i've gotten a little lazy with it.

weooo!

i usually peel any stickers off the front if they have info on the record (not just a 'free download' or '180 gram vinyl' sticker) and put it on my poly bag in the same area it was on when it was on the shrinkwrap.

good point! i missed that. i usually peel the stickers and place them on the poly bag if they have pertinent album info, etc. it really depends. sometimes you can really mess up a sticker by peeling it off the shrink.

oh and speaking of download cards, i never use them. if i want mp3s of the album i probably already have a LAME encoded version prior to purchase. not to say i am weird about using up the download, but i do give them away to friends if they want to check out the band in question.

I do this too! And if I can't get them off or don't ruin them trying I will cut them out of the shrink and save them inside the cover.

oh and speaking of download cards, i never use them. if i want mp3s of the album i probably already have a LAME encoded version prior to purchase. not to say i am weird about using up the download, but i do give them away to friends if they want to check out the band in question.

I do this too! And if I can't get them off or don't ruin them trying I will cut them out of the shrink and save them inside the cover.

ugh, now i'm gonna start saving the stickers. thanks a lot guys.