U.K Buyers being ripped off

Guest markovianprocess

I'm so glad I decided not to bother going to this. I was thinking about heading down to grab the Bad Brains 7'', but for £9 they can fuck off. I bought 3 LPs and a 7'' for £15 delivered in total today from an excellent independent distro called strictlynocapitalletters. I don't know why RSD has to be so expensive.

Small distros should always be much cheaper than shops considering they don't have the overheads to deal with like Rent, VAT, Staffing costs.

Having said that some of the prices they've listed are ridiculous, but how much is that the shops "mark-up" and how much is the major labels rip off starting prices?

Guest markovianprocess
Having said that some of the prices they've listed are ridiculous, but how much is that the shops "mark-up" and how much is the major labels rip off starting prices?

Quite a lot of the above list is purely shop markups, because the prices quoted by Banquet Records are a bit more reasonable on particularly the Nirvana release.

Just stick my nose in on a UK record shop's behalf...Pretty much all shops were selling RSD items at the same price as each other and at the same mark up as any other item. The prices weren't dictated by the shops, it's entirely based on the wholesale price the labels and distributors set. I'm not saying I don't agree with you though, I think the labels are in danger of ruining it if they do this however there's nothing the shops can do about it. After VAT (which as someone pointed out small distros don't pay) the mark up on music is so much less than any other "consumer" item, not even taking into consideration taking down the margin to try and not be priced out by chain stores. Anyhow, I agree that a lot were way too expensive, I just don't agree it's the shops fault!

Dave - Banquet