mumford and sons.... STFU

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never heard mumford and sons before but watched this video and am going to base my opinion entirely upon it.

stand up bass. keys, AND a banjo?! edgy! accents. oh snaps they said fuck! HOW NOT MAINSTREAM! the banjo guy looks like he's dry humping that banjo. actually, all of these guys are clearly working off boners over their super hipst cred with their instruments. what is this 3 minute whoaaa ooooohhhh part? was it really that hard to come up with more than one verse? oh that's it? people are fans of this?

radio indie.

Phew! Good thing Old Man Markley doesn't have accents because we would have to hate them too. I love Old Man Markley. What's a trade list?

a tradelist is a list of your collection. ie.. he was challenging your initial statement of saying "i dont listen to shitty music"

now accept the challenge.

Well I never said "I don't listen to shitty bands" and although I do believe my musical taste is far superior than the rest of the humans on this planet, I can see how my original comment may have come off that way. Now I see your deadfromat link and I get what a tradelist is, so I will start working on creating mine thanks.

Judging a band by the aesthetics of their music video (or aesthetics at all) makes for a pretty suspect appraisal.

...it was meant as a joke...did no one find the sarcasm there? also I wasn't really judging the "aesthetics" of the video...as there aren't really any to write home about. It's the band, playing music...something you'd see them do in concert which I assume is very similar.

therefore my opinion would likely be the same had I seen them stand on stage with their accents, hump their instruments, and be boring in person.

Judging a band by the aesthetics of their music video (or aesthetics at all) makes for a pretty suspect appraisal.

...it was meant as a joke...did no one find the sarcasm there? also I wasn't really judging the "aesthetics" of the video...as there aren't really any to write home about. It's the band, playing music...something you'd see them do in concert which I assume is very similar.

therefore my opinion would likely be the same had I seen them stand on stage with their accents, hump their instruments, and be boring in person.

Well, I'm glad I left my parenthetical in. I suppose the comments about the accents and them singing "whoa oh" are meant to be critiques of their music?

In any case, I'm not even a huge fan of theirs. I'm just stuck defending them here in the same way that I am stuck defending Cass Sunstein to my grandparents.

Well I never said "I don't listen to shitty bands" and although I do believe my musical taste is far superior than the rest of the humans on this planet, I can see how my original comment may have come off that way. Now I see your deadfromat link and I get what a tradelist is, so I will start working on creating mine thanks.

haha oh, please.

Well, I'm glad I left my parenthetical in. I suppose the comments about the accents and them singing "whoa oh" are meant to be critiques of their music?

In any case, I'm not even a huge fan of theirs. I'm just stuck defending them here in the same way that I am stuck defending Cass Sunstein to my grandparents.

the accent shit is just me bullshitting. Like I said, I like the Frames and it has nothing to do with the accents. You gotta admit with the popularity of Frank Turner a lot of that style is washing up on American shores and it's "cool" and "edgy" because it's from overseas. I just find it funny how this band has become novelty based on all of the things I noted in the video. Things they do that make hipsters go "oh wow they're so different!" when they were just looking for another clap/singalong folksy rock band.

And yes, the whoas are a critique of their music. They have about two simple verses and the whoas are filler. I hate when bands do that shit.

because no one cares about Mumford and Sons enough to start a fight.

And I thought we were having our first fight. Sigh.

haha hardly. I don't enjoy the drama llama. Just your average shittalker :)

if you two get in a fight for real, can i be referee? i always wanted to look like a "FOOT LOCKER" employee.

your services may be needed elsewhere...

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59742&start=0

theyre really not boring radio shit at all.just kind of a gimmicky act thats getting far too much attention. watch the video on the previous page.. youll get it.

the accent shit is just me bullshitting. Like I said, I like the Frames and it has nothing to do with the accents. You gotta admit with the popularity of Frank Turner a lot of that style is washing up on American shores and it's "cool" and "edgy" because it's from overseas. I just find it funny how this band has become novelty based on all of the things I noted in the video. Things they do that make hipsters go "oh wow they're so different!" when they were just looking for another clap/singalong folksy rock band.

And yes, the whoas are a critique of their music. They have about two simple verses and the whoas are filler. I hate when bands do that shit.

LOL @ you thinking Frank Turner is more popular than Mumford & Sons.

I'm sure Frank Turner would be more than willing to tour with this band. They are absolutely BLOWING THE FUCK UP right now, for better or worse (I think they're decent but I prefer the Avett Brothers). My local rock radio station is playing the fuck out of "The Cave," too, and I have no problem admitting I'd rather hear that song than Finger Eleven or something.

Is it great music? No. Is it better than most mainstream rock music? Yeah.

stand up bass. keys, AND a banjo?! edgy! accents. oh snaps they said fuck! HOW NOT MAINSTREAM! the banjo guy looks like he's dry humping that banjo. actually, all of these guys are clearly working off boners over their super hipst cred with their instruments. what is this 3 minute whoaaa ooooohhhh part? was it really that hard to come up with more than one verse? oh that's it? people are fans of this?

radio indie.

4/10

well by all means Frank Turner SHOULD be more popular than this band. not saying he's mainstream by any measure but at least he doesn't do folk rock by numbers.

Lots of people should be more popular than lots of other people. Unfortunately, music is subjective, and Mumford & Sons have an incredibly strong label push behind them that can get them the one thing that's most important to any band who wants to sell records: radio.