Audiophiles with Ear Infections...

so i developed one of these around noon today, and it's driving me insane!

my kids have all had this nasty cold, and i caught it about 2 days ago. 2 of my kids got ear infections from the cold, and as of today i have too.

it makes listening to music unbearable, because it ruins the sound quality and makes everything sound muffled and underwater in one ear.

it gives me such anxiety, too, because no matter what i do i can't hear right, and probably won't be able to for about a week.

has this happened to any of you before, and if so, how to you cope the temporary loss of your favorite sense?

i know exactly what your going through! it fucking sucks! and it takes a long time to heal but heres a few things i've learned dealing with it over the years: take a decongestant a few times a day, i find sudafed works best for me, also take ibuprofen a few times a day, this will reduce the swelling. drink A LOT of water and if you have the means, go to the doctor and get an antibiotic.

DO NOT: use q-tips, or put anything foreign into your ear canal.

i've been dealing with an ear infection for about 2 weeks now, it was almost better until our show the other night, i poured water over my head and it drip right down my ear plug and into my ear... getting better now but still not 100%

good luck man, i find i get more pissed off then anything because all i wanna do is play and listen to music and its just not the same...

not really entirely related but I remember when my good friend & I would practice every single day for hours on end as loud as possible with no ear protection (fucking stupid I know).

well gradually over a years time so much ear wax had built up in my one ear that I had about %20 hearing out of it. I knew it was bad but because over time it seemed so minimal so I had no idea how bad it was. One week something had happened & I was in absolute agonizing pain in my ear. went to the ER & they flushed both my ears out and i'm not lying when i say there was a hunk of ear wax about an inch long & the circumference of about 1/2 the size of a dime. all the sudden I had fully functional hearing it felt like i was living in surround sound lol.

I think I may have you all beat. Since I was born, I only have about 20% of hearing out of my right ear (This sucks for someone who loves music, but I don't know the difference anyway since its never worked correctly). My left is fine. But, a few months ago, I got an ear infection in my left ear. I went to bed the night it started hurting, and woke up in the early morning with a little bit of blood coming out of the infected ear. I immediately drove to the ER. I found out that the fluid build up created some pressure that busted my ear drum. I could barely hear anything with a perforated ear drum in my good ear, and my right being bum since I was little. I was freaking out. I couldn't play music, listen to music, watch tv, and could barely have a conversation with anyone. It took a month and a half or longer for my ear drum to heal. Very scary….

Both of my eardrums burst as an infant. And they would repeatedly burst even after being patched. I ended up having 19 ear surgeries by the time I was 11. And only 6 of those were for tubes. I now have tone deafness in my right ear (can't hear highs. At. All.). This caused me to fail my physical when I tried to join the Marines in '93 and get a permanent medical disqualification (though there's a clear picture of me in a Army pamplet taken the day of the physical. #irony). It also has prevented me from being able to scuba dive. My ear canals are all scar tissue and I am very susceptible to infections. Because it has been like this for as long as I can remember I am used to it and have learned how to minimize my chances of infection. But I can't prevent them 100%. The point of this is... Yes, ear infections suck.

I've been dealing with ear infections my entire life. They suck and I know exactly how you're feeling. A couple weeks ago I was in a similar situation and didn't put on any records for about a week and a half. It was awful!

My advice: avoid water getting in when showering, it just makes everything worse.

My ears wax like nobodies business. I'm fully convinced I only hear at about 50% capacity because my ears are always somewhat compacted. When my dad was younger he thought he went deaf in both ears until a doctor pulled out a giant chunk of wax from each ear. However I'm not down with the ear flushing. That shit is the worst.