fix a warped record?

(Why I haven't played this until now, for those of you that care: When I bought this, I was at college where I didn't really get to play much vinyl, but since I've been home for summer I've been playing a ton.)

I bought Commit This to Memory on pink through blue collar distro when it first went on sale, opened it upon arrival, and it looked great. Go to play it for the first time just now, and it skips. There's a warp in it that's only visible upon close inspection, but apparently it's bad enough that it can't play on the outside of the record. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any way that this is salvageable. I'm sure a thread has covered this before, so if anyone can link me, that would be perfect. If not, please give me advice on what does/doesn't work.

Or just sell me one, or point me in the direction where I can buy one at a reasonable price. I have the white and clear, but only really care about the pink--the one that's warped. -.-

Thanks for the help!

If the warp is so slight that you can barely notice it without extremely close inspection, I would say the warp is not necessarily the cause of the skip. I find that upping the tracking force will cause the needle to stay in the groove for most skipping issues. Some are pretty terrible though. This has worked for me about 90% to 95% of the time.

Guest cewillm
If the warp is so slight that you can barely notice it without extremely close inspection, I would say the warp is not necessarily the cause of the skip. I find that upping the tracking force will cause the needle to stay in the groove for most skipping issues. Some are pretty terrible though. This has worked for me about 90% to 95% of the time.

Upping the tracking force is a good idea but if your TT has an anti-skate setting, try playing with that as well.

Sandwich it vertically in between old records that you don't listen to for about a week. Make sure it's a very tight fit and leave it sitting in front of a window with no blinds so that the suns warmth can do it's work. Or for a riskier but faster method, do the same but have them sit in a vehicle/trunk with the windows up for about 30 minutes on a warm day.

Do not throw it in the oven and do not put a hairdryer to it.

I've heard that leaving a record out in the sun for an hour or so between two panes of glass with something heavy on top can sort out a slight warp.

But I've never tried it.

I've heard this too and even watched a video of a guy doing it. He left a record between the glass for a minuet or so and then started bending it back with his hands... Seems risky though. If you're going to try it I'd try with a junk record first.

Yes, I do have a broken la dispute record that I can play with...I need ot make something with it, right now it's just 2 LPs in 8 pieces. Yay poor mailing methods! (and refunds.)

Thanks for all the advice! I used my own common sense, and sat some heavy 2xLPs on top and that helped some. I hope if I leave it there the next few days it'll fix all the way. And increasing the tracking made it not skip! right now it plays, but it just has this giant wave of fuzz when the warp comes around. So still testing, but progress is made. Thanks a ton for help!

Also, chutter: +1, I think I'll just buy that as a back up, that way I have no worries.

When I bought the Box Car Racer LP from hot topic last year I accidentally warped it when I took it out of the jacket to hold it up to the light. It had been sitting in the car for the 10-15 minuet ride home and had gotten soft and flimsy. I tried leaving it out in the sun under a large book for a while but it was no good. It's not really a big deal it just has the same fuzz wave you're talking about.