Sound Quality Issues on a Sony LX250H Turntable

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting, and I have a question: My fiancée gave me an old turntable she found recently, it's a Sony LX250H. Now maybe I'm completely ignorant to this, but I plugged it into a set of BOSE Companion 2 Series II speakers through it's built in dual input connectors and it's only at a half decent volume when I crank the speakers as loud as they go.

I've used the speakers on my laptop, so I know they're not the problem. Like I said, the turntable is old, so I'm thinking that's the issue. Before I run out to buy a new one though, I wanted to find out if maybe I need an amp or reciever to put between the turntable and speakers, or maybe low volume is a common side effect of old age in turntables?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

The preamp is in the table. Lift the platter off and there is a switch towards the hinges of the dust cover.

that seems like a weird place to put the switch (I checked the manual online and you're right though). my "old" sony PS-LX300USB thankfully had the switch on the back

but yeah, hopefully that's the problem

The preamp is in the table. Lift the platter off and there is a switch towards the hinges of the dust cover.

that seems like a weird place to put the switch (I checked the manual online and you're right though). my "old" sony PS-LX300USB thankfully had the switch on the back

I actually own this turntable. I've had it for about 10 years now. It definitely has a preamp built inside. If you go out and buy one you're just wasting your time and money.

You will need to remove the platter. Be careful with the belt though! Once you have the platter off there's an Off/On switch inside. Getting the platter back on with the belt in the proper place is a little tricky. You'll need to use a pencil or a screwdriver to put the belt back on and you'll need to use the holes in the platter to get in there. It's a little tricky at first but once you've done it once you should be good to go.

I actually own this turntable. I've had it for about 10 years now. It definitely has a preamp built inside. If you go out and buy one you're just wasting your time and money.

You will need to remove the platter. Be careful with the belt though! Once you have the platter off there's an Off/On switch inside. Getting the platter back on with the belt in the proper place is a little tricky. You'll need to use a pencil or a screwdriver to put the belt back on and you'll need to use the holes in the platter to get in there. It's a little tricky at first but once you've done it once you should be good to go.

this

it was the first turntable i had too, and while i never had any problems with it, the pre-amp is definitely built in. i'm using it in an upstairs room now with computer speakers and it sounds great. you'll have to try to fix it internally.