RIP Criminal Records (Toronto)

www.torontoist.com/2011/06/criminal_records_set_to_close_up_shop_in_july.php

One of Queen Street's better record stores just announced that they're closing their doors by the end of July. They say it's not due to poor sales, which makes me think it's a landlord issue (like Sonic Boom has just come into).

Seems like a wasted opportunity to have a strong following and close for something other than poor sales. It was a little expensive for me and it wasn't quite my style of music, but I'm sure the people who swear by them would be willing to go to a new location.

Might have to check out the liquidation sales though!

Worst record store in Toronto. good riddance.

No you're thinking of Sonic Boom, biggest assholes with the most expensive prices in the city.

Criminal records had the nicest staff, they always went out of the way to strike up a conversation with me and while they are occasionally a bit more expensive but they often have killer sales.

Worst record store in Toronto. good riddance.

A misinformed comment.

A lost record store, no matter what you personally feel about them (which is completely unknown since you didn't elaborate), is a universally bad thing. This will just lead to Queen St. becoming even more of an outdoor mall than it already is. Even a "bad" record store is better than another faux boutique/chain store.

I have been to Criminal Records several times and always found them reasonable, never felt any pressure to buy and well informed. My only beef is the 7"s were always behind the counter and you had to ask for the boxes to look through them.

The Silver Snail is moving as well in the next couple of years too - Queen St will be a very different place as the rents keep rising and the older owners start selling.

Guest deathbydrums

Criminal Records staff were always nice and polite...

On the other hand, the dude with the lazy eye down the street at Rotate This is a total douche who thinks he's cool. He needs to find another job because he's obviously not happy where he is... it probably shouldn't be in the service industry or sales. Sorry for the negativity here but he is consistently a jackass to my friends and I. Happily, Hits and Misses is beside Rotate This and the owner is good shit, has mad cred and he's all about the music. Glad to see Hits n Misses more central than remote.

Will miss criminal records.