Sleeves & Storage (Your Opinions)

Chiefwahoo, you are a life saver. I'm picking up 10 or 12 of those corrugated LP containers for my move to CA. I have been trying to figure out the best way to move them and that looks like the answer.

Anyone in the BOS (Quincy, MA) area looking to pick up an Expedit or four? Like I said, I'm moving and I think I'm just going to use those cardboard boxes as storage for the next few years to save on space in the moving truck. Send me a PM if anyone is interested in picking up an Expedit, I have 4 that I can part with.

I back the last two posts. Also, the resealable sleeves will fuck you over eventually. I had a couple sleeves get caught on the sticky part and ruin them. Luckily they weren't ones that were too important to me, but it was still a big bummer and could have been avoided.

Also they get gross. I'm guessing a lot of people on here might have only had them on for a few years, but if you give those fuckers 5 years, they end up disgusting. everything sticks to them, and all it takes is one drunk person taking out a record wrong to completely fuck up a sleeve.

I have some serious OCD with no only my storage, but also with my poly sleeves, so I figure I can share with you what I do and/or have done in the past.

I use two types of poly bags for my records, which I scoop up from BU. For me, this works out great because if I order 100 bags of each type every time I place an order, I get free shipping.

For single LPs or gatefolds that have a minimal spine, I use the 12 5/8x12 5/8 3 mil bags - they are snug fitting & don't have a seam over the spine. I should add that I HATE loose poly bags.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3730-12-record-jacket-sleevea-idrjsa.aspx

For double LPs I use the same bag except in the 12 3/4x12 3/4 measurement to allow extra space.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-4186-12-record-jacket-sleeve.aspx

The 3 mil is a great size that is sturdy and clear without having that nasty seam. For me, the 2 mil versions are just too flimsy. Hope that helps!

i agree. i use the 3mil 12 5/8 in2 "Laser Disc" poly sleeves from Bags Unlimited for single LPs. You might just fit in a double lp, maybe. Otherwise go with the bigger sleeve. Resealable sleeves are a bad idea, especially if you plan on playing the record more than once a year.

Anything less than 3 mil is too flimsy. For seven inches i will go with a 4 mil poly sleeve also from Bags Unlimited.

i recently bought a 4 x 4 expendit. I dig it, but god help me if i have to move this thing. It turns like a '58 Cadillac and weights almost as much.