VC Philly

Hey guys. My wife and I are looking at taking a trip down to Philly next month for our 1 year anniversary. Anything we should check out while we're there? Any awesome brew pubs, places to eat, cool record shops, artsy stuff?

Also looking for a nice, inexpensive hotel downtown. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

record shops:

Long In The Tooth: 2027 Sansom Street

AKA Music: 27 N. 2nd Street

Noise Pullution: 619 S 4th St

Repo Records: 538 South Street

Main Street Music: 4444 Main St

Good Eats:

Lazaros (Pizza): 1743 South St

Govindas/Gourment To Go (Vegetarian): 1408 South Street

Cosmi's Deli: 1501 S 8th St

Mercato (Italian Restuarant): 1216 Spruce St

can't speak much on pubs, but:

The Grey Lodge Pub - 6235 Frankford Ave - they have really good food, and all my friends talk up the beer selection

Dark Horse Pub - 421 South 2nd Street - always have soccer on

if you are into sushi, check out 1225 raw (1225 sansom)

if you like mussels and belgian beers, monk's is the place. http://www.monkscafe.com/

not sure how you can go to philly and not eat a cheese steak though..

my personal faves are a bit out of the way (steve's prince of steaks in northeast philly or dallesandro's in roxborough), but Jim's on south street is darn good too. somehow i still haven't had pat's or geno's so can't speak as to whether its worth a trip to south philly for those. the tourists love em though.

make sure you find a philly soft pretzel somewhere too. for some reason philly owns when it comes to soft pretzels.

tripadvisor should help on the hotel front..

have fun

jumping in on the (always debatable) cheese steak talk.. for the 'touristy' spots.. I prefer Tony Lukes, they also have great roast beef. Pat's & Geno's are just the most known, but not good by any means. Jim's on South is pretty good, the one in NE Philly blows though. With Steve's, they don't chop their steak up finely, it's bigger thicker pieces, so if you're into that, it's the spot.. their american cheese fries are great.

and i'll agree with the pretzels. Philadelphia Pretzel Factory (tons of locations in the city) are great.

Cosmi's Deli: 1501 S 8th St

My favorite cheese steaks in the city. It's probably the rolls.

Pho Xe Lua on Race St. has great Vietnamese food, and David's Mai Lai Wa has really good Chinese.

The Philadelphia Art Museum is a good place to hang out, and there's also the Mutter Museum which has an awesome collection of medical oddities.

I know it's already been mentioned but I'd definitely check out Long in the Tooth as well... It's right in Center City- great used selection at really reasonable prices. The staff is great too!

As far as restaurants/ bars/ breweries go, there are plenty of decent options. What type of food and drink are you into?

I know it's already been mentioned but I'd definitely check out Long in the Tooth as well... It's right in Center City- great used selection at really reasonable prices. The staff is great too!

As far as restaurants/ bars/ breweries go, there are plenty of decent options. What type of food and drink are you into?

I'm a huge burger fan, and Ive got a list of some amazing burgers in the city. My wife is vegetarian, and is REALLY into Ethiopian food.

Beer wise, I like pubs, and craft beers.

If you want beer, check out:

Monk's Cafe (As mentioned before)

Eulogy (136 Chestnut St.) Crazy Amounts of Good Beer. Little pricey though.

The Farmer's Cabinet (1113 Walnut St.) Has a good list, but I haven't been here yet so I can't speak to how good it is.

Food:

Reading Terminal Market (51 N. 12th St) is always good. Lots of different eats and Bassetts Ice Cream.

For awesome Vegetarian Chinese, I like New Harmony (135 N. 9th St.)

Standard Tap (901 N. 2nd St.) is supposed to have a damn good burger. I can't speak on it though as I'm a vegetarian, but they usually have some good beers on tap.

Record Stores:

I'm a little partial to Creep in Northern Liberties (1050 N. Hancock St.)

If you have the time, check out the Mutter Museum as someone else suggested. That place is awesome.