Bike Shopping Advice

So I've been bike shopping for a couple months and I think I'm over analyzing things because its getting somewhat overwhelming. There's a lot of bikes out there and I don't know which one is appropriate for my cycling situation. I'm tied between these 3 bikes at the moment(Soho S, Gritty, Wingra ) *all Trek bikes* and I'm just stuck. I ride mostly for commute and recreation, 10 to 15 miles a day. Maximum of 700 bucks.

Suggestions?

I'll be honest. IMO you are better off checking Craigslist and getting a nicer bike. I ride around 10-15 a day for a workout in the morning and I love my Specialized. Hell you might be able to get a 700-1000 bike for relatively cheap. Mine cost around $900 new. Picked it up on craigslist for around $600 and I couldn't be more pleased.

Not a lot of hills pretty straight forward. There is the occasionally hill but nothing extreme. I was curious about the single speed because I'm not looking to be super versatile. I just want something light, simple and easy to ride. I'm hoping getting a better bike will get me out riding more as well. I enjoy it but commuting on a almost toy like Huffy mountain bike isn't working anymore.

I want to go for Craigslist but I've had relatively bad experiences with it in the past.

Not a lot of hills pretty straight forward. There is the occasionally hill but nothing extreme. I was curious about the single speed because I'm not looking to be super versatile. I just want something light, simple and easy to ride. I'm hoping getting a better bike will get me out riding more as well. I enjoy it but commuting on a almost toy like Huffy mountain bike isn't working anymore.

I want to go for Craigslist but I've had relatively bad experiences with it in the past.

Sounds like a singlespeed would do quite well for you. It'll save you some weight and maintenance from the drivetrain. I'd say just go to a few local bike shops, explain what you need, and see what feels best for you. That being said, there are some nice deals on craigslist. I got an 06 Giant Bowery for 250 bucks.

do not get a fixie unless you already ride a lot and by a lot I mean a ton! Seriously. I love riding my fixie but I had already been riding a lot when I got my and it still kicked my ass and had a fairly high level learning curve. I would suggest an older road bike that is in decent condition which will save you a lot or a nicer single speed which will be lighter and need less maintenance. If you were interested in spending a bit more you can have an entire single speed bike built by www.missionbicycle.com for $750-$850

My roommate from college had a Specialized that he absolutely loved. It was a mountain bike, and he beat the crap out of it doing rough trails and quarries and shit, and he never had a problem with it. If I were buying a new bike, I'd be looking in that direction.

Are these the kind of bikes your talking about http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/home.jsp

because these are damn nice.

My roommate from college had a Specialized that he absolutely loved. It was a mountain bike, and he beat the crap out of it doing rough trails and quarries and shit, and he never had a problem with it. If I were buying a new bike, I'd be looking in that direction.

Are these the kind of bikes your talking about http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/home.jsp

because these are damn nice.

Yep.