odd vinyl storage question

Good question. I wouldn't really overly stress about it. Let's use your example. Love Buzz test press. Great record, but if you were to sell it, it wouldn't change your life. If I had it I would keep it in the house and take out insurance. Something happens, the money's covered.

Besides, every time you wanted to show it to someone you'd have to take them to a bank.

as someone that has a handful of multi hundred dollar records (and records that have maintained this value for more than 2-3 years cough gaslightagainstmehwm cough), I just put them in my record firebox.

my firebox is simply an old record box that has all my bonzers in it. minor threat 7"s, first press black flag 7"s, weirdo sonic youth stuff, early uk punk, etc..

I also listen to these records because what's the point in owning something if you don't use it for it's intended purpose? If you're just putting it in storage, you're just buying the rights to brag.

Do you buy food only to put it on a shelf to look at and never eat it. Or worse yet, do you buy food just to bury it in the ground and never even see it, let alone eat it?

Anyone who buys records just to stick them in a safety deposit box is a fucking tool. They are records, play them! Look at them! Go buy stocks or real estate or bonds if you are solely looking for an investment.

I know how you feel, just 2 days ago i sent a first press, black gaslight sink or swim from Australia to the UK. I packed it as best i could, and i''ve got my fingers crossed it makes it without any douchebag playing frisbee

man, i've considered selling mine too... i just like it way too much to ever sell it. it would kind of be like thinking about an ex girl with a new guy... like, i wonder how he treats sink or swim... haha

ANYWAY. the first line of defense is obviously taking care of the record itself. pop it into a sealable polybag, and i recommend giving it a cleaning and using rice paper inner-sleeves. keeps the jacket in tip top, and both the record and jacket from gathering any dust.

if it's a record you NEVER plan to sell, it doesn't really matter if you store it in a firesafe, a safe deposit box, or in the bomb shelter in your back yard. never planning to sell it means its value lies solely in you maintaining the physical object, so if something were to ever happen to it, any amount of money would likely not bring something so rare back. just some food for thought. i think you should put it on display if you don't listen to it, or keep it with the collection. nothing feels better than sifting through a band collection and seeing the one or two gems that make it really special.

/nerdism.

Do you buy food only to put it on a shelf to look at and never eat it. Or worse yet, do you buy food just to bury it in the ground and never even see it, let alone eat it?

Anyone who buys records just to stick them in a safety deposit box is a fucking tool. They are records, play them! Look at them! Go buy stocks or real estate or bonds if you are solely looking for an investment.

should be posted in almost every thread on this message board.