Identifying what jacks my speakers have

Hey guys, my grandad bought me a record player since i was using his for some time. Anyway lately the right speaker has been going off and on and hisses abit. I want to get new speakers but i have no idea what kind of jacks that these speakers currently use. Do they even sell speakers that even use these jacks anymore?

Here are the jacks

[image]

SDC15808 byNorris_Norris, on Flickr

Here you can see (not clearly mind) that the jack has two prongs. Each jack has this feature.

[image]

SDC15809 by Norris_Norris, on Flickr

Oh and there are total of four jacks that go into the record player.

I agree, it's probably a very old style of RCA plug.

I think the prong may just be split. to essentially make a better connection with wider jacks.

If you go to Radio shack you can get a replacement connector to update it to standard connections.

Something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104066

There shouldn't be any soldering needed so no need to worry about things like that.

sometimes Best buy has them too.

[image]

These are called banana connectors. They are the most common type for speaker connection (excluding crap speakers and very old speakers).

Today they usually look like this:

[image]

Is this the speaker side or the amp/record player side? If it's the latter, is the speaker cable detachable or fixed to the speakers? Today speakers come without fixed cables, but rather with speaker terminals, which look like this:

[image]

So whichever speakers you buy, you'll have to use your own cable, because they (usually) don't come with one. What kind of terminals does your record player have?