Cool Obscure Vinyl Finds

Guest soulcrusher

There was a song by The Church on the Donnie Darko soundtrack and I happened to find the record it came from (The Church - Starfish) at a record shop. Bought it used for a couple bucks and every song on it is good. I suppose it wasn't too obscure back in the 80's, but now...

Guest soulcrusher

There was a song by The Church on the Donnie Darko soundtrack and I happened to find the record it came from (The Church - Starfish) at a record shop. Bought it used for a couple bucks and every song on it is good. I suppose it wasn't too obscure back in the 80's, but now...

Got a run planned today to my favorite 1$ bin record store. Let's see what fate brings my way!

And I totally agree on learning labels. Twin Tone was a great one. I look for anything Beggars Banquet, early Capricorn stuff. IRS, Stiff. All good

agree to all of those esp. IRS and Stiff. I found an IRS comp several years back that wasn't all that rare but it had a ton of great stuff on it like The Humans, The Cramps, Wazmo Nariz, etc and off of that alone I bought anything with the IRS label and for the most part I haven't been disappointed (one of my favorite finds was the Klark Kent 10" - the almost not even known at all project of Police sideman Stewart Copeland). IRS had so much in their stable in the wirey post punk/new wave vein. No one knows that stuff anymore so it's really fun finding all of it (and half the time finding copies that were promos with photo glossies and press kits included in with the rest of the inserts).

Got a run planned today to my favorite 1$ bin record store. Let's see what fate brings my way!

And I totally agree on learning labels. Twin Tone was a great one. I look for anything Beggars Banquet, early Capricorn stuff. IRS, Stiff. All good

agree to all of those esp. IRS and Stiff. I found an IRS comp several years back that wasn't all that rare but it had a ton of great stuff on it like The Humans, The Cramps, Wazmo Nariz, etc and off of that alone I bought anything with the IRS label and for the most part I haven't been disappointed (one of my favorite finds was the Klark Kent 10" - the almost not even known at all project of Police sideman Stewart Copeland). IRS had so much in their stable in the wirey post punk/new wave vein. No one knows that stuff anymore so it's really fun finding all of it (and half the time finding copies that were promos with photo glossies and press kits included in with the rest of the inserts).

Totally agree on the IRS stuff. I know that comp, double LP right? and that Humans track is sick! "I live in the city."

Speaking of IRS, I'm listening to the debut Alarm 5-song EP right now. Great stuff.

My recent trip wasn't too fruitful for obscure stuff but I did find

Player - Danger Zone - mid-tempo 70's rock (think Ambrosia) $1

Bloodstone - 1970's soul funk $1

Permanent Wave - 80's compilation with the Vibrators, the Cortinas, the Spikes and more $1

2 Be-Bop Deluxe records, not obscure but unfortunately forgotten $1 each

And McGuffey Lane - 1970's country rock. No idea what it sounds like, but for 50 cents, I thought I'd find out.

Got another trip planned tomorrow to another store. Let's see . . .

That's a great track. I ended up finding a promo copy of that song as well as a gatefold 7" of it. That Alarm EP is the only thing that band ever did that I really liked, it had a really cool Clash feel to it. Around Christmas last year, we were in NJ and NYC for Christmas and I ended up finding a sealed copy of Adios Amigos by The Ramones for $12 in this small record store hidden away in some plaza that was anchored by the large neighborhood grocery store. I know the Ramones aren't obscure, but copies of Adios Amigos usually go for a fairly obscene amount of money, so finding it sealed at retail price (the guy claimed that it had probably been there since it was released back in '95) was great. Also found a sealed copy of Joey's solo record alongside it.

There's a record shop on St. Mark's in NYC called Rockit and they have the most amazing selection of obscure comps featuring really oddball rockabilly, garage rock and other oddities - I found a bunch of stuff there as well including a bunch of Cramps 12"s that I'd not seen elsewhere.

In terms of obscure holy grails, I'd really like to find a copy of Simply Saucer's Cyborgs Revisited for a decent price. It's been re-issued a few times over the years but I've never seen it for anything cheaper than $300. I'm holding out hope that I'll wander into some record store one day and find it sitting there brand new at $10 where no one's touched the re-issue came in 10 years ago.

Cool day at the local thrift store for random obscure vinyl. Got lucky, some guy had just walked in and dropped off half his collection of vinyl. Apparently, he's coming back to drop off the other half. Means I gotta go every day now.

All albums were 75 cents

Don Nix - Hobos, Heroes and Street Corner Clowns

Wild Thing (garage rock double LP compilation)

Jason and the Scorchers - Lost and Found

Ian Gomm - 3 song 12 inch on Stiff Records

Robert Gordan w/ Link Wray - Fresh Fish Special

Roy Lonely and the Phantom Movers - Out after Dark; and Phantom Tracks

The Continentals - Fizz Pop! (10" vinyl)

Speaking of Labels, Stiff is always a great one to find, as is Rough Trade.

And great find on the Ramones stuff. Way cool!

^

LET ME BUY THAT MORT GARSON FROM YOU!

i remember about 5 years ago or so this particular record was up on the gigantic wall of obscure records at Amoeba in SF for about $50.00... and wished it was $10.00.

you know that feeling when you find a gem of a record at some shop and think "what's this doing here!?" and look around to see if anybody notices what you've got.... then go to some deserted aisle and just stare in awe at what you've just found? the mort garson LP was one of those...

in other words, it's not for sale/barter/etc....

i've got his Plantasia LP somewhere in my vault.

in regards to other obscure finds... i found bowie's "man of words and music" LP for about $0.25 at a Salvation Army a few years back

and oddly... I found dashboard confessional's "swiss army romance" and crystal castles s/t LP's at goodwill for $1 each...

the thrift shops here in hawaii have tons of gems... i've found cramps, mdc, ramones promos, japanese beatles colored LP's (with the obi) all here...

last week the goodwill had vampire weekend's "holiday" 7" in the bin...

the most obscure and greatest find thus far was at one of the flea markets in the bay area (i'm not telling which one) and this guy had this trashed (on the outside) samsonite train case. lo and behold... i open it up and found it full of old (original, i may add) and somewhat recent hardcore, punk, screamo 7". misfits "bullet", minor threat's "in my eyes", converge and cap'n jazz EPs to name a few. all in near mint condition.

i asked how much.. he said 6 bucks.

i gave him $8...

^

i remember about 5 years ago or so this particular record was up on the gigantic wall of obscure records at Amoeba in SF for about $50.00... and wished it was $10.00.

you know that feeling when you find a gem of a record at some shop and think "what's this doing here!?" and look around to see if anybody notices what you've got.... then go to some deserted aisle and just stare in awe at what you've just found? the mort garson LP was one of those...

in other words, it's not for sale/barter/etc....

i've got his Plantasia LP somewhere in my vault.

in regards to other obscure finds... i found bowie's "man of words and music" LP for about $0.25 at a Salvation Army a few years back

and oddly... I found dashboard confessional's "swiss army romance" and crystal castles s/t LP's at goodwill for $1 each...

the thrift shops here in hawaii have tons of gems... i've found cramps, mdc, ramones promos, japanese beatles colored LP's (with the obi) all here...

last week the goodwill had vampire weekend's "holiday" 7" in the bin...

the most obscure and greatest find thus far was at one of the flea markets in the bay area (i'm not telling which one) and this guy had this trashed (on the outside) samsonite train case. lo and behold... i open it up and found it full of old (original, i may add) and somewhat recent hardcore, punk, screamo 7". misfits "bullet", minor threat's "in my eyes", converge and cap'n jazz EPs to name a few. all in near mint condition.

i asked how much.. he said 6 bucks.

i gave him $8...

Hey man, that's totally fair - I was half joking (hence the all caps). I know I wouldn't let go of that record if I found it. His Black Mass Lucifer record is absolutely amazing.

As to the other things you've found, I think it's time I made a trip to Hawaii!

I have tons of weird shit that I haven't even looked at before, nevermind listened to.

After working in an office for years, I got pretty tired of the whole thing and looked for a job where I could work outside. I ended up working for one of those Junk Removal companies driving a truck and dropping off waste bins around Toronto. I actually loved it because I spent the majority of my day driving around listening to my own music really loud, and I hardly ever had to get out of the truck since I was just picking up and dropping off bins.

Anyways, one job that I went to, a very old guy was cleaning out his garage, and I offered to help him get some of his heavier stuff into the bin. There was a stack of boxes in the corner and when I tried to lift one, it almost fell on me. When I asked him what was in it, he told me they were old records from when he was a teenager, (which I'm guessing was probably the mid-late 40's going by the look of the guy). He had five or six HUGE boxes full of records.

I ended up taking them all home with me, because I couldn't bear to see them just go and get destroyed at a dump. There was all kinds of crazy stuff in those boxes, a LOT of European stuff, like Polish Christmas music and weird stuff like that. There was even a 12 LP How To Learn Hebrew set.

Some other great stuff I found at that job includes about 50 or 60 LP's that appear to be all gay club music from the late 70's, early 80's that an older gay couple were throwing out. A TON (100 - 125 lp's) of old reggae/soul/blues records, and a huge amount (600 - 700) of your typical classic rock stuff. And I kept it all.

Obviously I will never listen to 99% of the stuff that I picked up, but I just couldn't bear to see it all go to waste. Plus, I have some friends who are DJ's/Producers and they are frequently coming by to dig through the stuff I've picked up over the years.

"you know that feeling when you find a gem of a record at some shop and think "what's this doing here!?" and look around to see if anybody notices what you've got.... then go to some deserted aisle and just stare in awe at what you've just found? the mort garson LP was one of those..."

God! I love that feeling! You almost feel criminal and insanely lucky at the same time!

Ok, fess up, which flea market? Alameda? You gotta share! I'll even meet you there one day and split the loot.

Went back to the thrift today. Nothing new. I know it's all sitting in back waiting to be put out. I'm drooling and insanely impatient.

This has always been fairly easy to get and fairly priced (by some sellers) on Discogs. I'm sure you know this though.

you know that feeling when you find a gem of a record at some shop and think "what's this doing here!?" and look around to see if anybody notices what you've got.... then go to some deserted aisle and just stare in awe at what you've just found?

Oh yes, I know that feeling. It's a damn fine feeling.