What's up with the new ebay payment delay?

patron

set up a discogs page with a few items last weekend and sold 2 (rather high priced) items already. Quick and painless so far.... the only thing i have found annoying is trying to sell a release/record that is not already added to their database.

doesnt discogs take a higher cut in listing fees than ebay? they just don't take a % out of the final value on top of the listing fees?

Yeah, they used to charge a listing fee and then take a portion of the sale value. Not sure if they still do; stopped selling on eBay due to their fees, haha.

I worded that wrong.

For one auction, I got charged a listing fee ($0.05), a final value fee ($5.20) and a fee on the shipping rate ($0.39).

doesnt discogs take a higher cut in listing fees than ebay? they just don't take a % out of the final value on top of the listing fees?

discogs takes a 6% flat fee. easy breezy.

and your listing can stay up free until it sells. ebay will charge you over and over if you keep re-listing an item.

maybe i should have phrased my question differently. basically is it cheaper to sell on discogs or ebay? say for a $100 record on both sites (99 cent auction on ebay with no reserve or BIN), how much would you wind up with in the end from both places. minus paypal fees.

and your listing can stay up free until it sells. ebay will charge you over and over if you keep re-listing an item.

maybe i should have phrased my question differently. basically is it cheaper to sell on discogs or ebay? say for a $100 record on both sites (99 cent auction on ebay with no reserve or BIN), how much would you wind up with in the end from both places. minus paypal fees.

discogs most definitely. ebay will also charge a fee for whatever shipping dollars you collect.

Here is a fee calculator:

http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

the trade-off is that discogs gets much less traffic so your item may take a while to sell, depending on the demand.

• 2 weeks later...

eBay, by their admission, takes between 10% and 12% of a sale. Discogs should be cheaper, but typically takes longer to sell.

ebay is no listing fee for auctions or buy it now for the first 50 auctions you do every month, but a 10% final value (shipping included). you have to pay paypal with both

Ebay $10

Discogs $6

I rarely sell on eBay any more, but in August I sold a t-shirt lot. It was sent out the same day as the auction ended, shipped via Priority mail with tracking and confirmation. The buy received it within 2 days. He left positive feedback, I did the same and I thought it was done with.

In early October, Paypal and eBay send me the same thing, that they'll be holding my funds based on a previous transaction. ALL my transactions on eBay have been positive both as a buyer or seller. I explain this to them and the fact that they send me this notice nearly two months after my last (and only) eBay sale of 2011. All of a sudden I get "Oh well your account is up for review in six days." I gave them a piece of my mind and in six days my account was back to normal.

This whole thing is bullshit and extremely annoying. Not for a second do I think they're holding funds to protect the buyer. I do however know that they gain interest on held funds.....