Dallas, TX

The lady, child and I are going to Dallas for Thanksgiving to spend time with her family. We're actually going to be staying in the Little Elm/Frisco area. A couple questions:

Going shopping for records and wondering if there's any other necessary shops besides Good Records and Top Ten? These are the ones that have been recommended to me.

Also, since we'll be in the suburbs, any nice places to take the lady to eat in Little Elm/Frisco. Or do I need to venture to Dallas proper to find something a little nicer?

I've only been to Dallas once and really didn't do anything before so any tips would be much appreciated.

Doc's Records & Vintage in Ft Worth is great if that's not to far a commute. Bills records off South lamar in downtown Dallas is nice too. Messy but tons of goodys.

The bishop Arts district downtown is nice too. Its got a soda gallery and ice cream/cafe shop, books store/ bakery (Cretia, I believe), art galley, Vintage clothing shop.

and don't know what you and your family eats but Spiral Diner Dallas has amazing food. Vegan restaurant for every mouth.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mad World records in Denton has a GREAT punk collection. They've got a 'General Records' section and a 'Punk Records' section equal in size. It's all on the cheap as well. It's about a 30 minute drive from Frisco, which is what you're going to drive for the generally overpriced Good Records.

Twisted Root at the Shops at Legacy in Plano is great for burgers. Bishop Arts is so good but you've still got a bit of driving to do for that. Deep Ellum has a surprisingly good selection of food if you're looking to do some historical sight-seeing.

bills records and tapes, and good records are both great.

i haven't shopped at either location in over 10 years, but spent a lot of money at both places when i lived out there.

heres what i remember:

bills was HUGE, with a massive selection of vinyl,cd, t-shirts, tapes, also a dj room if you need records like that too, and he always had dozens of boxes full of promo stickers by the front door, some for sale, most for free.

i bought mostly punk rock back then, and he always had stuff i was looking for, but he never priced his shit so you didn't know what you were going to spend until it was too late, so he always had a big stack of records behind the counter that people changed their minds about.

plus he's a chain smoker, and he's kinda rude, so his shop is stinky, and if he doesn't like you he'll probably overcharge you.

good records was a small shop out in deep ellum, which was dallas' "cool" part of town where all the rock clubs/bars/tattoo shops were but last i heard it's not nearly as hip as it was back in the 90s and early 00s.

the shop was very small, but had a great selection of stuff you didn't normally see in other places.

it's owned by tim delaughter (tripping daisy/polyphonic spree), and he also ran his record label (good records) through the shop as well. they carried mostly indie/emo/alternative stuff, and would consign with local artists almost without question, so there was tons of local stuff there too.

last i heard the shop is no longer in deep ellum, but relocated to a larger store, so it's probably better now.

Thanksgiving Day is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a special meal. The meal often includes a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables at dealaboo. Thanksgiving Day is a time for many people to give thanks for what they have. On Thanksgiving Day merchants offer crazy deals at almost unbelievably low prices.