The Deep Field Documentary (This Will Destroy You)

jtoth000

Looks Interesting and This Will Destroy You is doing the music for it. Pledge some money and you could get some merch from TWDY

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560945324/the-deep-field

KICKSTARTER REWARDS:

(#1) “LIMITED SUICIDE SQUEEZE RECORD LABEL PACKAGE”

(limited to 15 packs)

COMPLETE PACKAGE:

1-2xLP Tunnel Blanket grey w/ white haze (limited edition of 1,000)

1-2xCassettes (limited edition of 300)

1-CD

1-Black Dunes 7" Single w/ Holy Other REMIX (limited edition of 500)

1- 11x17” Autographed Poster

(all items above signed by the band)

THE DEEP FIELD is a documentary about the dying experience and the period of healing and self-discovery that comes after a loved one passes.

The film is a meditative and poetic look at my family uniting and coming to terms with the decay and death of my 102-year-old grandmother in the final weeks of her life at home in January 2010.

My grandmother was a central part of my family’s life and was like another parent to me. Her death was the first loss of someone close to me in my life and had a major effect on me.

I interviewed my grandmother about her life, and much of this is used as narration in the documentary, creating a unique and first-person view of her loves, laments, and celebrations.

THE DEEP FIELD is an honest and unflinching look at the tenderness, grief, and love that mixes strangely with the black vacuum of impending death. I feel the themes of this film are something that all people think about and must eventually face. Why are we here? Did we live our lives to its full potential? Do we have regrets? What comes after death? While there is an un-negotiable sadness in death, I discovered that there is also a terrible beauty that paradoxically goes along with it. We are fortunate to have existed and to be aware of it. There are many moments of beauty, healing and catharsis in this film, that to me, far outweigh the sad aspects. My grandmother lived a full and beautiful life.

This film is also about my own self rediscovery. In the period since I began shooting this film, I have noticed people in my family becoming visibly older, in spirit and body, people who I once thought were boundless and invincible. It seems to have happened instantly and has made me determined to live my life to its full potential, which has always included becoming a filmmaker. A year before my grandmother became sick, she bought me the very camera that I filmed this movie with, a small Canon HDSLR. She wanted me to realize my dreams and it seems only fitting that my first film will be a celebration of her.

I have been working alone on this film for the past 2 years, and I am at the point where I need physical and financial help. All of the filming was done in 2010; while in 2011, I have been focusing on as much post-production as I am able to do on my own.

I am fortunate to have my good friends in the band, THIS WILL DESTROY YOU, composing an original score for the film. They recently contributed the main musical theme to the film Moneyball.

I have been hesitant to give away too many details about the story this early so that, by the time it's released, it will be an original and fresh experience for the viewer. I edited the above teaser to give you a feeling for the tone, scope, and mood of the film.

HOW DOES KICKSTARTER WORK?

I have 60 days to raise the full $20,000 I need through individual donations. None of your contribution will be used, and no rewards will be issued, unless I raise the full amount. If the funds are raised, they will be applied towards the last remaining scenes that need to be filmed, as well as for post-production in editing, sound, score, and color-correction.

I appreciate your taking the time to let me share my project with you, and I hope you decide to collaborate with me in this shared goal and invest in THE DEEP FIELD.

Thank You,

Rui Cavender

Director

• 4 months later...

This could be pretty rad but I also feel like it will be just a lot of pretty images with music behind it and lacking any sort of central idea / theme. To say "death is the theme" is kinda cheating and cliche. Is it going to say anything new and original about the subject? Or just merely emotionally toy the audience it feeling something without any clear objectives or concerns?

Either way, will definitely watch.