THE DFA Thread (Previously Rapture Sail Away PO)

Dont know if youre a Holy Ghost! Fan but that "Its Not Over" 12" remix is stellar as well. Ordered a Shit Robot White Label today too.

Big Holy Ghost! Fan.

Thanks for the recommendation, I may pick it up tomorrow as well.

Go back a page or 2 on this thread and check out the soundcloud link i posted of the "Its Not Over" remix and judge for yourself before you buy. Im pretty sure youll like it a ton if youre a fan of their sound because Dimitri From Paris does a hell of a job capturing it in his remix.

I can imagine. Id bet the shipping labels can be a huge pain in the ass. How many people you got helping out over there? You gotta pack And ship everything you sold today too? At least youll be able to order a fancy lunch with some of the profits.

The day-to-day staff of the label is myself, label founder Jonathan Galkin, and we also have two lovely interns (Adam and Kerry) a couple days a week each. So, it's generally me + 1 doing all of the shipping/etc.

I haven't been updating the store much lately because in addition to the store, I also deal with all of the other stuff an assistant label manager has to deal with - getting records into production, chasing down remix contracts, getting stuff submitted digitally - but hopefully I'm over the hump and can take the next few weeks to continue to clear out our closets!

How much more you got left in your closets? Seems like youve been picking out a ton lately. Must be nice to dig into that back inventory. Wish I had that problem, haha.

I can imagine. Id bet the shipping labels can be a huge pain in the ass. How many people you got helping out over there? You gotta pack And ship everything you sold today too? At least youll be able to order a fancy lunch with some of the profits.

The day-to-day staff of the label is myself, label founder Jonathan Galkin, and we also have two lovely interns (Adam and Kerry) a couple days a week each. So, it's generally me + 1 doing all of the shipping/etc.

I haven't been updating the store much lately because in addition to the store, I also deal with all of the other stuff an assistant label manager has to deal with - getting records into production, chasing down remix contracts, getting stuff submitted digitally - but hopefully I'm over the hump and can take the next few weeks to continue to clear out our closets!

That's hardcore, Kris. Talk about a labor of love.

That's hardcore, Kris. Talk about a labor of love.

Yeah, its pretty amazing what theyre able to accomplish with a 2-man fulltime crew. How do you typically bring in talent to your label? Im sure a lot of time needs to be spent going to concerts, listening to demos and doing talent evaluations for new artists as well.

Well, to be candid, we kind of use a referral system - our artists meet a lot of people out on the road from all sorts of backgrounds, and the personal connection is the best way to start. It sort of develops organically from there.

Living in NYC gives us a chance to see bands all of the time, too, so we check out plenty of stuff that ranges from new/buzzy bands just to keep an eye on what's going on in music to random shows at venues we like. I prefer seeing a band live 100x to getting a demo, if that makes sense. I personally value a good live show, whether it's a giant LCD-type band or a guy with a sequencer and some pedals jumping around. As long as it's not a guy staring blankly at an iPad. :)

Well, to be candid, we kind of use a referral system - our artists meet a lot of people out on the road from all sorts of backgrounds, and the personal connection is the best way to start. It sort of develops organically from there.

Living in NYC gives us a chance to see bands all of the time, too, so we check out plenty of stuff that ranges from new/buzzy bands just to keep an eye on what's going on in music to random shows at venues we like. I prefer seeing a band live 100x to getting a demo, if that makes sense. I personally value a good live show, whether it's a giant LCD-type band or a guy with a sequencer and some pedals jumping around. As long as it's not a guy staring blankly at an iPad. :)

Makes complete sense. You'll see their potential much better in a live setting where there arent certain production variables of a studio demo tape that could turn you off. Plus in the live setting you can also see how into it the fans are and what kind of draw theyve got the potential to bring in which has probably some correlation to potential record sales. Either way any businees philosophy that results in getting you out on the town to see concerts certainly aint a bad philosophy, even if the business end doesnt end up getting satisfied sometimes.

So what are these white labels exactly? Test pressings? I noticed SOS is still readily available online and elsewhere so I guess it's not due for a repress just yet?

Its kind of a grey area, technically they are test pressings but they usually press between 100-200 of them and sell them as promo copies and such with generic sleeves so its not exactly what most people would think when they use the term "test press" which is typically limited to between 5-20 copies. Regardless these are the most limited variants of a DFA release which is why people tend to like to collect them.

Kris, please correct anything Ive said if Im wrong but I think ive covered the basics?

Hey,

Previous to this, the only promo version of sound of silver was one made by EMI UK labels with either stickers, or printed labels that look like stamps.

We just repressed Sound of Silver and made new stampers/etc, so these are the first copies of that pressing. We've always made 50-100 or even 200 white labels of any given release, we just usually gave them all away to our friends because we didn't think people would want them. :)

As a record collector myself, I'm totally into stuff that's numbered/stamped/limited and has a handmade aspect-- I think it rewards people to buy early and/or finally take the step to own an album on vinyl, in this case. It also gives people incentive to order directly from our label, which gives us the most profit off of a release, which helps us to keep putting out rad music.

uh, sorry for writing an essay.

any idea when the new joe goddard - gabriel remixes ii is coming in? you know, for the sake of not giving all my money to the postal service. all three remixes are fantastic, but the aston shuffle and soulwax ones are especially good..

http://shop.dfarecords.com/product/joe-goddard-gabriel-remixes-ii-vinyl-lp-digital-1-pin-badge

any idea when the new joe goddard - gabriel remixes ii is coming in? you know, for the sake of not giving all my money to the postal service. all three remixes are fantastic, but the aston shuffle and soulwax ones are especially good..

http://shop.dfarecords.com/product/joe-goddard-gabriel-remixes-ii-vinyl-lp-digital-1-pin-badge

d'oh! thank you