Hey, VC Austin/San Antonio!

i'm going to dallas/fort worth at the end of march to visit one of my best friends and my godson. last time i was there, we just hung out around dallas and did touristy things like going to the 6th floor museum, some other museums, the aquarium, and southfork ranch.

this time, we're taking a 3ish day excursion down to san antonio by way of austin.

anyone have any recommendations for fun things to do/places to eat/record stores to visit in those place?

keep in mind: i'll be hanging out with a 3 year old in tow, and i don't like mexican/spicy food. yes, i'm that person.

waterloo records in austin is pretty popular. i like end of an ear personally.

i always like homeslice pizza in austin.

bbq in lockhart, tx.

gruene, tx is nice and has a the gristmill and gruene hall, some neat shopping, out door market thingy.

san marcos has huge (too big) outlet mall.

if you guys are up to it san antonio has seaworld, and obviously the alamo. i think the waterway is pretty popular place to walk around, only been 2 or 3 times.

idk everyone will hate my suggestions but there are certainly plenty more and the locals from this board will have some good advice.

bring a lot of film batteries/memory card. :)

alicia (jk), i'll get back to you on FB come march or closer to your time when you arrive so i can ask off that day and i can take you guys around town (or at least give you directions from the back seat since i don't drive)

Austin:

- Waterloo Records / End of an Ear Records

- State Capitol

- Enchanted Rock / Mt. Bonnell/ Green Belt (if you're up for hiking)

- Movie sites from "Dazed and Confused"/"Slackers"/ or "Suburbia"

- BBQ in Lockhart or Franklin BBQ in Austin

- Breakfast Tacos at Las Delicias Taqueria (you have to know spanish to order)

- Observatory tour (where Whitman fired from) on The UT grounds

- Dinner at Hoovers (since you'll have kid in tow) or Homeslice Pizza

- many other things to do.

San Antonio:

- Pigstand (filthy, dirty, sloppy, and delicious food)

- Hogwild Records (though they probably won't have much you like)

- The Alamo (get ready for disappointment)

- Please hit up Missions San Juan, San Jose, and Concepción. (far better and just south of downtown)

- if by Mission San Juan, hit up the Ghost Tracks (if only for fun)

- San Fernando Cathedral (beautiful)

- Spanish Governor’s Palace

- Ripleys Museum (across from alamo)

- The Riverwalk???? (meh)

San Marcos:

Vans outlet mall among other things.

Wimberley:

- Wimberley Square (quant little shops and nice landscape)

San Antonio:

Eat at The Cove. It's a restaurant / car wash. Great food and it has vegetarian/vegan stuff if you are so inclined. Was on DD&D!

I always wanted to like Hogwild Records, but it was always a disappointment. Most record stores in San Antonio do/did charge too much for their records. Stick with Austin for records.

Do a quick Alamo tour but it is disappointing, like CTB said the other missions are way more legit. May not be feasible, but you can bike to all the missions.

If you are there on a weekend there is a nice little farmers market at the Pearl Brewery complex. They recently extended the riverwalk up there so you can actually walk downtown from it.

Austin:

End Of An Ear was the spot. found some great records there, decent prices. definitely the store to hit for vinyl browsing.

i thought Casa Bonita was pretty damn good for your typical fast food mexican fare. they have a salsa bar and everything too. if you're going to San Antonio though, they have El Pollo Loco. all kinds of grilled chicken options. mmmm food.

Waterloo and End of an Ear are my go-to record stores when I'm in Austin, but there are tons of them there. All of the record stores hand out pamphlets with a map of all of the other stores in Austin that carry vinyl and a brief description of each store, which gets dangerous!

You should also stop at a Half Price Books or two. Or four... I have made some great vinyl/cassette/CD finds here, and there are easily a dozen+ of them between Dallas and San Antonio.

If your godson likes dinosaurs, the museum at UT Austin has a nice little hall of paleontology with mostly local fossils of all kinds of organisms, including some dinosaurs. You could probably make it through the whole museum in under an hour.

Also, if you like being outside, there are plenty of dinosaur track sites that are open to the public between Dallas and San Antonio. If you take a little detour from Austin to San Antonio through Blanco, TX, there is a spot in the Blanco River with DOZENS of sauropod dinosaur tracks. You have to walk downstream a bit to get to them, but it's really shallow water (usually), and it is a really gorgeous area! Last time I was there, we encountered some turtles in the shallow water. Also, at the San Antonio Rivercenter mall, there is an attraction called Dinosaur-Quest that's essentially a walk-through "museum" of full-sized dinosaur fossil replicas with documentaries playing on a few TVs and absurd-colored lights illuminating the fossil mounts...

You can PM me if the dinosaur stuff is at all interesting to you, and I'll give you more detailed info... If not, sorry for blathering on!

Near Austin, there is also a place called Hamilton Pool, which is small natural pool formed by the collapsing of a limestone roof over an underground stream, so there is a small waterfall that feeds water into the pool, and a lush stream system that drains from the pool. There's a gorgeous half-mile walk down the the pool, and the pool itself is awesome. There is a little sand beach, and you can swim in the water if conditions are right (though it may still be too cool for this in March... though, it is Texas, so maybe not!), and there is a cave path around the pool. It's a really pretty area.

There are a lot of other great places to hike around Austin. I haven't made it to Enchanted Rock yet myself, but I've heard great things about it.

In San Antonio, SeaWorld is great (though pricey), and the zoo is fantastic (less pricey than SeaWorld). Eat on the Riverwalk!

I hope this helps! I love it down there.