Dumbass Questions While Working in Customer Servic

I worked in a Game/Music/Movie store for about 5 years.

The most common dumbass/frustrating situation was

Customer - I want to sell this

ME - Ok, we can give you 10 in trade or $7.50 in cash

Customer - thats bullshit, its worth way more

ME - We will try to sell it for $15, so it is hopefully worth a little more

Customer - I will take $15

Me - No

I tell this one all the time

Customer - I just saw a new movie and was wondering if you have the prequels

Me - Ok which movie was it?

Customer - Fantastic 4

Me - ?????????

Customer - you know Fantastic 1,2, or 3

Me - thank you!

Me - No

i use to work at the movie store as well and i can't tell you how many times i'd have to explain, that if we paid for a movie a customer sold, we'd have to make a profit so we'd have to buy for less. they just did not comprehend how retail worked in regards to how used movies are purchased. we had some guy try to sell us old vhs tapes and was asking or $20 each. i told him we could buy a new dvd for $10. he explained that vhs are being cut and these videos will be rare. yeah, buddy, i don't want your vhs clamshell of top gun or kramer vs kramer get the fuck out!

Me - No

i use to work at the movie store as well and i can't tell you how many times i'd have to explain, that if we paid for a movie a customer sold, we'd have to make a profit so we'd have to buy for less. they just did not comprehend how retail worked in regards to how used movies are purchased. we had some guy try to sell us old vhs tapes and was asking or $20 each. i told him we could buy a new dvd for $10. he explained that vhs are being cut and these videos will be rare. yeah, buddy, i don't want your vhs clamshell of top gun or kramer vs kramer get the fuck out!

Do people collect VHS like they do records? Even if they do collect them do they ever pay more than $2 each?

I work retail in the electronics department, so I often get a barrage of idiotic questions, such as "which is better, plasma or lcd, which camera is better, which is better, etc.."

This one is pretty good though:

Customer: (Holds up an art picture) Excuse me, is this John Mayer?

Me: No, that's James Dean

Customer: Oh. Hahah

I just shook my head for a while after that

"The customer is always right" - someone who has never had to interact with customers

I don't know where you are working, but this is has never been the case anywhere I worked. The customer is always right for one reason, they are giving you money. Working at home depot I dealt with customers the entire day. There were a lot of uninformed people that shopped there, but if you make them think that they are stupid then they won't come back. You can offer suggestions for the appropriate way to do something, but at the end of the day they make the decisions and they deal with the results.

"Can you recommend me a movie?"

"Sure what kind of movie are you looking to watch?"

"Oh, anything"

"...Ok well what other movies do you enjoy?"

"I don't know"

I used to deal with these people all the time at Blockbuster, and I always tried to get them to rent Control or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang..

"The customer is always right" - someone who has never had to interact with customers

I don't know where you are working, but this is has never been the case anywhere I worked. The customer is always right for one reason, they are giving you money. Working at home depot I dealt with customers the entire day. There were a lot of uninformed people that shopped there, but if you make them think that they are stupid then they won't come back. You can offer suggestions for the appropriate way to do something, but at the end of the day they make the decisions and they deal with the results.

If you're dealing with stupid people, that's one thing, i'll deal with stupid people. But when you're dealing with stupid people who don't think they're stupid and won't listen to a thing you say, then I say open season. People who want a Subway sandwich at a sandwich shop that simply does not have the tools to make one the way they are asking deserves to be shit on. When they don't listen to you when you say "I CAN NOT DO THIS. PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE". That's just ridiculous.

Two other things that piss me off:

1) You deal with a customer, giving them all the information that they had asked from you, and then take their business elsewhere with their new found knowledge

2) People call in and ask them for help with products that we don't even sell/products that they didn't purchase from the store

Just because we are convenient for you to call or come in does not mean you can waste my time with answering your question on something we don't carry or you didn't buy from the store. Pisses me off