Replacing old inner sleeves with new ones

Assuming you're talking about the pink-tinted ones that are all heavy poly, no paper? Those come standard from RTI (pressing plant that we usually use) when you order 180 gram vinyl. If the LP is pressed on standard weight, you get paper inners.

They offer upgrading to the pink poly ones on standard weight, but there is an upcharge. We haven't done that because even that relatively small cost can bump some releases up a dollar in list price if they're right on the line. Usually if we're doing standard weight for a release, cost is a concern.

I don't know if RTI would sell you the sleeves separately, but I'm guessing you'd have to buy a whole bunch for them to bother.

http://www.recordtech.com/

So i called Record Technology, Inc - They said you have to press with them in order to get the pink Anti-Static Poly sleeve, they don't sell them a la carte. So, sadly i think most of us are out of luck.

Check out this thread I found. Sounds like the RTI style might not be the best after all, if this is true. I have heard that polypropylene is better (the crystal clear material used in the poly-lined paper sleeves from Bags Unlimited or Sleevetown), since polyethylene (most common for outer sleeves, and what RTI sleeves are) can out-gas stuff that's not good for vinyl or jackets. Anything is better than paper, though.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=36510

Why do you guys do this? I have records that are 40 years old in the original sleeve that play flawlessly and have no more dust than any other.

This always struck me as a move that people do to prove that they are some kind of audiophile when in reality it makes no difference.

Exactly!

To each their own. I don't think I'm an audiophile, and I don't try to prove anything to anyone. If unlined paper works for you, I'm not telling you to change, it doesn't matter to me what you use.

Personally, I don't like the standard paper sleeves because they give my LPs hairline sleeve marks that cost me money if I ever sell the record. They also produce a lot of tiny paper bits that stick to the record, which are a result of the manufacturing.

This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do.

To my knowledge and experience, paper sleeves gather more dust inside with time. I also feel they tend to scratch the records a little more but it may just be me and my "feelings".

Anyway I've used roundbottom poly inner sleeves for a couple of years with great success. I put them inside paper sleeves so it's thicker and I think they're safer that way.

I now use three-ply sleeves like the discwasher and they're great too.

Since I buy colored variants, I replace my sleeves with poly sleeves and store it outside of the jacket all wrapped up in a super clear polypropylene outer sleeve. It's cool to be able to pick it up and easily see the color.

I'm taking this route. Thanks for the suggestion!

And what petgrief said.