DC Record Stores

This is my post from the record store list .... I'm lazy haha.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

Washington DC and the very nearby Virginia area:

CD Cellar

709 W Broad St.

Falls Church, VA. 22046

CD Cellar

2607 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22201

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything, but mainly classic rock, jazz, country, oldies.

Great prices on their older albums. They also have newer items mixed in.

Record & Tape Exchange

9448 Main St.

Fairfax, VA. 22031

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything. The punk/hardcore/metal sections are small. They have a great $1 section though.

Great variety and the staff is nice, but the prices are kind of expensive.

Smash Records

2314 18th St. NW

Washington DC. 2009

What you'll typically find:Good deals!

Best place out of all the stores to find punk/hardcore albums. Not the biggest selection but they do have a good mix of old LPs and new releases.

Vienna Music Exchange

131 Church St. NW

Vienna, VA. 22180

What you'll typically find: Metal and classic rock.

The owner is super nice! He always has very fair prices. It's the smallest place you've ever seen as a store but it's one of the only places to find metal albums.

Melody Record Shop

1623 Connecticut Ave N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20009

I've only been there one time. I can't really remember what they had but I think it was mainly newer releases.

Crooked Beat Records

2318 18th St NW

Washington, DC 20009

I've never had any luck getting anything from Crooked Beat except the new Pearl Jam before it was released. Worth going to if you're at Smash Records (practically the same building).

Som Records

1843 14th Street NW

Washington, DC

Sorry, I don't remember anything about this store.

Red Onion Records & Books

1901 18th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

You'll find high prices.

This is my post from the record store list .... I'm lazy haha.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

Washington DC and the very nearby Virginia area:

CD Cellar

709 W Broad St.

Falls Church, VA. 22046

CD Cellar

2607 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22201

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything, but mainly classic rock, jazz, country, oldies.

Great prices on their older albums. They also have newer items mixed in.

Record & Tape Exchange

9448 Main St.

Fairfax, VA. 22031

What you'll typically find: A mix of everything. The punk/hardcore/metal sections are small. They have a great $1 section though.

Great variety and the staff is nice, but the prices are kind of expensive.

Smash Records

2314 18th St. NW

Washington DC. 2009

What you'll typically find:Good deals!

Best place out of all the stores to find punk/hardcore albums. Not the biggest selection but they do have a good mix of old LPs and new releases.

Vienna Music Exchange

131 Church St. NW

Vienna, VA. 22180

What you'll typically find: Metal and classic rock.

The owner is super nice! He always has very fair prices. It's the smallest place you've ever seen as a store but it's one of the only places to find metal albums.

Melody Record Shop

1623 Connecticut Ave N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20009

I've only been there one time. I can't really remember what they had but I think it was mainly newer releases.

Crooked Beat Records

2318 18th St NW

Washington, DC 20009

I've never had any luck getting anything from Crooked Beat except the new Pearl Jam before it was released. Worth going to if you're at Smash Records (practically the same building).

Som Records

1843 14th Street NW

Washington, DC

Sorry, I don't remember anything about this store.

Red Onion Records & Books

1901 18th Street NW

Washington, DC 20009

You'll find high prices.

This information is a little outdated. Crooked Beat moved down the street from SMASH nearly 2 years ago (about 2 blocks away, South). Melody is out of business. Red Onion will be closing their doors this summer, but you might get a deal/steal before then.

you should definitely hit up JOINT CUSTODY. it's a vintage store but they sell records too. it's dudes' from lion of judah/give who run it so they have lots of punk/hardcore. trust me, go. http://www.facebook.com/JointCustodyDC

smash is great too, id definitely go there too.

then make the trip to baltimore and go to celebrated summer. soundgarden kinda sucks. celebrated is the best records store i've ever been to. it's in the back of atomic books. that's if you can make the hour (usually) drive.

Joint Custody, Smash, Crooked Beat, Red Onion... are all in the Adams Morgan and all within easy walking distance from each other. There are also many a resturant and bar in the area too. If you have the time you can make an afternoon of it. If you're taking the metro, you'll have a small walk to Adams Morgan (from Columnia Heights or Woodly Park, etc.), but its easy enough for the younger set. You could always take a cab too. If you're driving around town i would not recommend heading out there late on the weekend. Parking can get a bit tight due to the bar crowd.