Personal Help With Rega RP1/Kenwood KR-2090 Set-Up

I originally posted in the "Official 'Help Me Choose a Turntable' v.2.0 Thread" and got some help. I was going to repost more questions in the thread, but realized that it doesn't pertain specifically to choosing a turntable, so thought I would start my first thread. I'm fairly new, so please let me know if this should go somewhere else.

I got a Rega RP1 a few weeks ago and have been trying to decide on the set-up to use it. Today I got a Kenwood KR-2090 receiver at Goodwill. I have no idea if it actually functions beyond lighting up when turned on since I don't have anything to test it on... but I figured for $20, it was a gamble I could take.

I have roughly $700 to spend (preferably on Amazon, since that's where my gift certificates are for) on the rest of my set-up (including speakers). I was wondering if I could get some personalized suggestions. To be honest, I'm pretty confused right now, and would really appreciate anyone throwing out some set-up suggestions within that price range. I looked at the list compiled on the Turntable thread of recommended products, but I'm not sure what would be good (or even work with) the tt/receiver I have. My concern is that if I just pick a pre-amp, amp and speakers from the list based on price alone, that I would end up with things that didn't work together (I don't even know if that's even possible... or if I've misinterpreted some of the things I've read). Any help would be really appreciated!

I'd probably look into the speakers you want first and see how the phono input on the Kenwood sounds. If its shit I'd buy a Cambridge audio 640p preamp which will help a lot. Then I'd prob look at getting an upgraded cartridge like a Ortofon 2M Red or Blue. Then I'd say your done. Buy some records!

Thanks so much for your response! I was a little confused when I first read it because I was always under the impression that a set-up required a pre-amp, amp AND a receiver... it sounds like from your response (and other basic research I just did) that it's really a pre-amp + amp OR a receiver in general.

So it sounds like if I find that the Kenwood doesn't sound good, I can get a pre-amp to possibly help the sound quality- and have the tt plug into the pre-amp, which would plug into the receiver through the aux input? Or would I also need an amp if I were throwing a pre-amp into the mix?... Or am I just completely not understanding?

A receiver and amp are the same thing usually.

So if the amp/receiver has a phono input, use it without a preamp. If the amp/receiver does NOT have a phono input, only an aux input, you will need a pre amp.

The rega rp1 is a great starting table, so just about anything you plug it into will sound alright. With your kenwood kr 2090, it's a nice vintage amp. Made with the purpose of turntables in mind. You won't need a preamp.

I'd focus on a nice cartridge, and a set of vintage bookshelf speakers. Being a kenwood amp, I'd hunt a set of those

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate you both taking the time to offer information.

Unfortunately I can't get vintage speakers (as much as I want to)... at least not for now. My disposable income outside of Amazon is limited right now... so I went with a pair of Klipsch B-20 bookshelf speakers. I figure with the extra Amazon credit I can try to buy a preamp and amp if it turns out the Kenwood receiver doesn't work. If the Kenwood ends up working, I think I'm going to get a new cartridge.

Thanks again!

Ok, now here's the situation. I got everything set up this afternoon- I connected my Klipsch B-20 bookshelf speakers and my Rega RP1 to my Kenwood KR-2090 receiver, but I'm encountering two huge problems.

1. I put receiver on speaker A and the music can be heard (at a low volume). Turn up the volume and I get a buzzing/feedback noise (no music coming through). Turn down the volume and music isn't coming from speakers any more and buzzing/feedback noise is still there.

2. I put receiver on speakers A+B and most of the time (even at a low volume) there was just buzzing/feedback noise (no music coming through). Occasionally speakers A+B would play music at a very low volume, but when volume was turned up, music stopped and I get buzzing/feedback noise . Turn down the volume and music isn't coming from speakers any more and buzzing/feedback noise is still there.

I made sure the speaker wires were 16 gauge (per the speaker manual)... I'm not really sure what it could be. Can anyone please help?? Thank you!!

Yea, it's connected to the phono input. Don't think it's a preamp issue since it's an older receiver I was under the impression that it had a phono stage (also, even when the volume was at a really minimal level you could hear the turntable). Unfortunately the radio isn't working so I can't compare the volume level... But pretty certain it was at line level. Thanks for your response though. Honestly, it'd be nice if it was just a need for a preamp cuz I could get one and still use the receiver... But I'm not sure that would solve it. Hoping someone else out there has another idea of what it could be.

If you have everything hooked up correctly (connected to the phono inputs, connected ground wire, properly wired speakers) and you still encounter these problems, then I'm afraid you'll have to replace that kenwood. Just to be sure, could you post a picture of the back side of the unit? To see how it's all hooked up.

Thanks so much everyone for the ideas! Ended up getting the radio working so tried the same thing with it- and the same problem happened. Ended up taking it back to Goodwill and got a JVC A-GX3 and everything's working! Aesthetically I preferred the Kenwood, but the JVC was $20 and actually works and sounds good to me (not an audiophile, so of course I'm not an expert on great sound, but I like it!) So excited to retire the Crosley and play some of my favorite records (a lot of them I refused to play for fear I would damage them). Thank you all again!!