Just purchased Audio-Technica AT-PL120

This is the NON-USB direct drive turntable from Audio-Technica. I got one for $160.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012EYNG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

If I was into vinyl years ago or was made of money now I would of course buy the Technics SL-1200 because it looks like a beautiful machine, automatic and all. But the prices are just too ridiculous. How much did this thing cost a couple years ago when it was new? I can't imagine more than $500. But $1300 for a new one? I. Just. Can't. Here's the link with the prices. I mean, $400 for one in "good" condition. Can't do it.

http://www.amazon.com/TECHNICS-SL-1200MK2-Automatic-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349807792&sr=1-5&keywords=technica+1200

So, my point of the thread, does anybody have the Audio Technica PL-120 that I bought? Any advice on a stylus? I am planning on buying a pre-amp instead of using the one in the TT, I'm hoping that increases the quality of the sound.

I was bummed about the vintage Sony (see PSP 212 thread) I bought and didn't want to deal with any more issues. This one is adjustable, and quartz so RPMs will not be a problem.

Also, this is my first turntable and I didn't want to break the bank. The ONLY downer I have about this TT is it is not automatic, so it does not reset after the vinyl is done playing. Considering all the other nice things about this table and it's price, I think I can live with that for now.

Any comments or feedback appreciated. Thanks!

I own it and absolutely love mine. Like you I was looking for a solid option for a "starter" turntable at a decent price. As for the cartridge I bought the Shure M97xE from Amazon and it's definitely an upgrade from the stock one.

I used to use it through an old pre-amp I got from my inlaws but it produced a low static hum when there was no music on. For now I'm using it through my stereo rca inputs with the internal pre-amp and it sounds good with no noise whatsoever.

In the future I'd like to upgrade, pretty much everything, but for now this this one suits me just fine.

I bought a AT-PL120 brand new back in 08 and I want to say it was right around $200. I swapped out the stylus for a Audio Technica AT440MLa and it was a drastic improvement. A external pre-amp is also a good idea as the built in one is OK, but leaves more to be desired.

I have a SL-1200 now which I paid I want to say $399, or $350 brand new from Guitar Center in 09 right before the boom when their prices sky rocketed. It's a fully manual table, no auto return or anything of the sorts.

It's an okay starter table. Probably in the same league as that PS-212 you sent back. There's some really nice Sony direct drives from the 70's, but the 212 is one of their entry-level tables and nothing to write home about. If you ever decide to go the vintage Sony route again, try the PS-X series or even something like the PS-8750 or PS-6750.

The AT-PL120 has a finite ceiling in terms of how good it can sound, but a cartridge and preamp upgrade will help. The Audio Technica AT440MLa gets good marks, but you have plenty of decent choices $100 - $200 range. For the preamp, best choices under $200 are probably the Cambridge Audio 651p or the Musical Fidelity V-LPS MKII. Both give you the option of using MM or MC carts. DB systems DB-8 is another good preamp for moving magnet cartridges. If you're handy with a soldering iron and a schematic, try building your own preamp with the Hagerman Bugle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My family was asking for gift ideas for me in the $40 range, so I started looking for a new cartridge and came upon this:

http://www.amazon.co...cnica turntable

Anybody tried this cartridge? I'm guessing it will hook right into my AT-PL120. I looked at the Shure one which was linked above but I just can't ask for something so expensive.

Figured this one would be good to hold me over until I decide to spend more money.

My family was asking for gift ideas for me in the $40 range, so I started looking for a new cartridge and came upon this:

Anybody tried this cartridge? I'm guessing it will hook right into my AT-PL120. I looked at the Shure one which was linked above but I just can't ask for something so expensive.

Figured this one would be good to hold me over until I decide to spend more money.

You get what you pay for, I don't have any personal experience with that one but I'd imagine it's not much better than the one you have with the table. At that point you might be better off just keeping the stock cartridge until you're ready to upgrade. My friend kept the original cart for a year and was fine.

Thats the cartridge that came with my AT-LP120 and it's not bad at all, really. That said, I'm literally shopping for a cartridge upgrade this morning and I'm looking into the 440MLa because it's supposedly a pretty noticeable upgrade.

Don't discount the AT95E because of its price; it's a cart that many have called the best bang for your buck, at least in regards to entry-level budget carts. If you don't have much experience or you've never heard a variety of cartridges, it's a great place to start, and at $40 is really not that much of a risk. Keep in mind that Audio Technica carts tend to favor the highs, and many think they're a little too bright. If you want something that's a bit more neutral, try the Shure M97xE. If you like a rich midrange, something in the Grado Prestige series would be a good choice. The Ortofon OM10 is worth considering, although it's a little too dry and clinical for my tastes.