eBay Q: Damage En Route

Forgive the brevity, since I'm posting from my phone.

I recently sold a record on eBay, and it arrived at the seller's location this morning. He just wrote me insisting that the mailer was pretty dented... and, consequently, that the jacket was roughed up as well.

What's the most practical way to handle this? It's the first time I've sold a record that's been damaged in transit. I insured the record - does that make any difference? I asked the seller for some photo documentation of the damage, too, so I can see how extensive it may be.

Assuming it's a legitimate problem, is there any way that the UPS can kick in money for a partial refund? Or is it coming out of my pocket either way?

Thanks for reading.

so this was shipped UPS w/ insurance - not to be confused with USPS?

if so, you need to contact UPS to file a damaged item claim and tell the buyer to keep all packaging material. UPS sends someone to the buyer to inspect the packaging and contents to decide if its their fault or due to poor packaging. yes, you read that right. is UPS impartial in this process? in my experience, no.

the reality is this - if you dont work with this guy youre going to lose the record and your money. the best way to go about it if ups denies your claim is to ask him to send the record back, refund them and swallow your losses. its the risk you run when you sell something online - even if it isnt your fault.

I don't know the exact process of getting a refund but what do you think the point of buying insurance is if not to get a refund in a situation exactly like this?

therein lies the irony. ive found that in most instances that if UPS was not paid to pack the items for you theyre pretty inclined to tell you to eat shit. i cant even begin to tell you what a mindnumbing experience it is to deal with ups / fedex claims departments. thankfully, it happens very little but when it does - i dread the process.

therein lies the irony. ive found that in most instances that if UPS was not paid to pack the items for you theyre pretty inclined to tell you to eat shit. i cant even begin to tell you what a mindnumbing experience it is to deal with ups / fedex claims departments. thankfully, it happens very little but when it does - i dread the process.

Regardless of your past experiences isn't contacting the person you shipped it with the first step in the process.

This is why I just ship things without delivery confirmation or insurance (with a few exceptions). If I get scammed, it's part of making deals on the internet. But I save a dollar or so every time I ship and in the long run, it ends up costing me less than insurance.