Recommended speakers on a tight budget?

I have zero experience with Definitive Technology equipment, but I can tell you that I have never heard a floorstanding speaker outperform a bookshelf speaker at the same price point. But in this case it's hard to make any kind of judgment, because M-Audio are active so the price comparison wouldn't really be fair, plus the BP8 are in a much higher price class. I'd say two very different items for very different needs.

I have zero experience with Definitive Technology equipment, but I can tell you that I have never heard a floorstanding speaker outperform a bookshelf speaker at the same price point. But in this case it's hard to make any kind of judgment, because M-Audio are active so the price comparison wouldn't really be fair, plus the BP8 are in a much higher price class. I'd say two very different items for very different needs.

Why is that? What makes bookshelf speakers so great?

Just simple economics. Less material and less components for the same price generally means more quality. If you have a $300 bookshelf speaker with 2 drivers and a $300 floorstander with 5 drivers, it's easy to determine which one incorporates more compromises in regards of components quality. Also, a 2-way design allows for a simpler crossover, again a big factor in the end result. Bookshelves have their drawbacks as well, obviously most notable in the lower end. You can forget about flooding big rooms with sound. But speaking strictly in terms of sound quality, it's all pretty straightforward.