Broken Needle/Cartridge (Video)?

As I stated in my other thread, my wife moved my equipment around without my help and now I'm having tons of issues.

I'm assuming my needle show how got bent (it looks like it bends to the right) or the cartridge was damaged, my table sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7bSIqw9Sos

It's not my receiver or speakers because the Aux and Tape works fine. I just don't want to spend money on a cartridge just to find out it's not the problem. Thanks guys!

Dude, you're fucked.

But seriously, its tough to tell based on that 16 second video. A bent cantilever is certainly not good and comes with its own set of sound issues, but the noise I'm hearing begins well before the record even starts playing ... and it doesn't change even when the record begins. You may be looking at a few different problems here.

Congrats. Give your wife a giant high five.

First, if the stylus is bent, then there's really not much you can do except buy a new one ... or try and finagle it back into place. It's been done before, but it requires a steady hand and there's a good chance it won't work. I can't really tell from the video how bad it is, but if you remove the head shell with the cartridge attached and look at it from the bottom, straight on, you'll be able to tell.

So yeah, that needs to get fixed, and if you can't fix it, then you'll need to get a replacement or a new cartridge altogether. A bent stylus isn't going to track properly and it will cause all sorts of havoc. Unfortunately, there might be something else wrong, but one problem at a time ...