Cheap Component Stand / Cabinet

I use the Ikea "hack", it does what it's supposed to do, and it's incredibly cheap (The Ikea LACK tables cost $10 a piece). Looks are a matter of preference, but there's enough room for your own ideas. Here's a pic of what mine looks like: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/80871-what-speakers-or-headphones-are-you-cranking-on/http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/80871-what-speakers-or-headphones-are-you-cranking-on/

Also, I know this doesn't answer your question, but if I had the chance I'd get the VTI Manufacturing BL series racks. This beast costs $250, and the only similar one I can find within EU is just over $700.

BL304SC.jpg

I use the Ikea "hack", it does what it's supposed to do, and it's incredibly cheap (The Ikea LACK tables cost $10 a piece). Looks are a matter of preference, but there's enough room for your own ideas. Here's a pic of what mine looks like: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/80871-what-speakers-or-headphones-are-you-cranking-on/http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/80871-what-speakers-or-headphones-are-you-cranking-on/

Also, I know this doesn't answer your question, but if I had the chance I'd get the VTI Manufacturing BL series racks. This beast costs $250, and the only similar one I can find within EU is just over $700.

BL304SC.jpg

Your Ikea hack looks worlds better than the others I've seen.  are those the Lack legs, too?  that might be doable for me.  Did you improvise, or did you find a good resource for that?

Just like all other mentioned threads, if you're going to put a lot of money into your equipment, it'd probably worth investing on something to hold it too.

Or make a flexi.

I know, and I will if I have to, I just wanted to crowdsource a possible cheaper alternative.  Having never really looked into component shelves before, I didn't know where to start.  I used to put my 2 record players, receiver, and tape deck on top of my Expedit, but now my TV is on it, and I'm out of horizontal space in my apartment.  That flexi looks pretty cool, though.

Thanks for the help, guys.  Much appreciated.

Your Ikea hack looks worlds better than the others I've seen.  are those the Lack legs, too?  that might be doable for me.  Did you improvise, or did you find a good resource for that?

Oh yeah, I bought the legs separately, as I wanted them to be slightly thinner than those that come with the tables. Everything together cost around $100, which gave me 6 sheleves. I originally had them set up differently, because the original idea was to get the sub underneath everything. It turned out the empty space was too small by an inch or two:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/topic/2036-post-your-record-storage-area/?p=1142970

Currently I only have one tower of 3 shelves as I moved some of the equipment to another room. Another reason I went for the Ikea solution, I can rearrange everything whenever I get bored with the setup. Though this has it's shortcomings, the tables aren't solidly fixed together, as I wanted to do it in a way that doesn't permanently alter the shelf. So the only thing preventing them from freely sliding in every direction are some self-adhesive felt pads, glued to the top of the shelf, that fit perfectly into the opening of the hollow steel legs, thus preventing the upper shelves to move. Not perfect, but gets the job done. The reason why I'm explaining this, with every diy solution there's always the balance between cost, functionality and looks. I could solve the problem with my rack by either spending more money, or accepting that it won't look as good (visible holes on top). But since it's not a huge problem, I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Really appreciate the explanation, Slinch.  I think I may do something similar.  I'd be happy to drop $100 if the shelf is customized to my needs.  Since I have 2 turntables, I need to have enough clearance to load them on a vertical shelf.  This might do the trick!  I'm gonna do a bit of gameplanning and see if I can't knock this project out before the new year.  

edit: are those legs Ikea shelf legs?  this might be easier than i thought.

I have the VTI. But I added another shelf, filled the legs with sand, and added Herbies Audio feet to minimize vibration. I also made a custom maple top shelf for my behemoth of a record player. I have been very happy.

I thought i would do the DIY flexy, but wood/MDF in the size that I needed (see above reference turntable) was not cheap, and the threaded rods weren't as tall as I wanted.

The problem with the lack hack, is indeed the legs. The new lacks have mostly hollow legs, which makes it nearly impossible to adjust the height of the shelves.

Really appreciate the explanation, Slinch.  I think I may do something similar.  I'd be happy to drop $100 if the shelf is customized to my needs.  Since I have 2 turntables, I need to have enough clearance to load them on a vertical shelf.  This might do the trick!  I'm gonna do a bit of gameplanning and see if I can't knock this project out before the new year.  

edit: are those legs Ikea shelf legs?  this might be easier than i thought.

You're welcome, I'm glad if I can help in any way. I bought these legs at a different store, only because I wanted two different lengths with the same design, and didn't find anything like that in Ikea. Plus they were really cheap, something like $1.5 per leg. Actually the first idea I had was much cooler in my opinion, though a bit more complicated and less practical, and I'd also have to get custom legs done because three different lengths would be needed, which went against my "do it as cheap as possible" principle :)

Here's a mock-up I did with Lack tables still packed, using stacks of CDs for support:

a22032011144.jpg

Since you have two turntables you want to put on it, does it have to be a vertical tower? Because if you have the room for it, something like this would be a much more practical option:

1108322802.jpg

I have the VTI. 

Jealous  :angry:

You're welcome, I'm glad if I can help in any way. I bought these legs at a different store, only because I wanted two different lengths with the same design, and didn't find anything like that in Ikea. Plus they were really cheap, something like $1.5 per leg. Actually the first idea I had was much cooler in my opinion, though a bit more complicated and less practical, and I'd also have to get custom legs done because three different lengths would be needed, which went against my "do it as cheap as possible" principle :)

Here's a mock-up I did with Lack tables still packed, using stacks of CDs for support:

a22032011144.jpg

Since you have two turntables you want to put on it, does it have to be a vertical tower? Because if you have the room for it, something like this would be a much more practical option:

1108322802.jpg

Jealous  :angry:

i wish i did have space to do that, but the wall my record player needs to be on is probably only 2.5-3', which is why i was going for vertical with enough headroom on each shelf to have stacked tables.  not optimal, but it'll work.

i wish i did have space to do that, but the wall my record player needs to be on is probably only 2.5-3', which is why i was going for vertical with enough headroom on each shelf to have stacked tables.  not optimal, but it'll work.

Yeah in that case DIY is the only option, I've never seen racks customizable enough to have room for a table other than the top shelf. 

Or perhaps wall-mounting them, that might work as well.

Yeah in that case DIY is the only option, I've never seen racks customizable enough to have room for a table other than the top shelf. 

Or perhaps wall-mounting them, that might work as well.

Heres one I found that has the right dimensions (isnt glass), holds up to 88 lbs and isnt totally overpriced. 

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/dolle-shelving-sm20-belt-silver-black-16-x-18-sumo-board-shelf-587640.htm